Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

Recurring mild fever

User Profile
From Tuesday night(1st day), my son started getting mild fever. His fever doesn't stay longer, it goes out and come back after 7-8 hours. The highest fever recorded till yesterday was 100.8. We also noticed that he had diarrehea on Tuesday and Wednesday. Today is Saturday(4th day), he doesn't have diarrehea but the fever during the afternoon was 102.7 for one and half hours. About his activity, he looks normal, plays, jump etc. as if he is not sick. We haven't given him any dose of tylenol yet because it's very very hard to give him oral medicine. Thinking of taking him to Emergency tomorrow. Any advices on what is causing him to have recurring fever would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2009
Supporter
Hi and welcome to eHealth
Sorry no one has come forward with a possible answer. I do know a temp r fever is the bodies way of telling you, hey something is not right. I'd just watch him closely and monitor what he eats and drinks. He doesn't need to dehydrate. If you have too give him popsicles, cold juices...whatever to bring his temp down. If it got to be over 102, yes I'd take him to the emergency room. Hope this has helped you some! Hope your lil man gets better very soon!
|
Users who thank Fairy Godmother for this post: concernedn 

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2009
Experienced User
RE:Recurring mild fever
healthwealth, I agree with Fairy Godmother. Fever itself is not a disease; it's rather a symptom of a disease. As said by Fairy Godmother, fever indicates something is going wrong. When an infection occurs, our immune system responds by increasing the body temperature so that it can kill the bacteria or virus that has caused the infection. I am not very sure, though, about the relationship between fever and diarrhea. By the way, 102.7 is not a mild fever for a child. As far as the recurrent nature of the fever is concerned, I think your son is developing a recurrent infection and the body is responding by recurrent fever. You cannot stop the fever permanently unless you find a cure for the infection that is causing the fever. As soon as the infection is gone, fever will also disappear. Your son is prone to infection probably because of a nutritional deficiency. Is he underweight? Anyways, you need to take him to the doctor sooner than later. I prey to God for your son's recovery.
|
Users who thank concernedn for this post: Fairy Godmother 

replied May 11th, 2009
100 + degrees is not mild as ConcerndN is saying. To put it lightly anything over the 100 degree mark should be either A taken to a doctor with or B the emergency room. You say its recurring and your concerned... Look at the factors and try to establish the pattern... he jumps around and plays, look at what hes eating because it could also be the start of something like a bowel infection or problems digesting. Whatever it is you need to get him to a doctor asap.
|
Users who thank Shabti for this post: concernedn 

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
how old is your son? I know with younger infants having a fever above 100 could be ver dangerous. But you are doing the right thing and watching him...How is he doing now? Did you make it to the doctor.

And I think its good not to give children so much tylonel. There bodies need to learn to fight it. There are tons of other ways to bring a fever down.
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
Thank you very much for everyone's response!
Hello everybody,

I would like to thank everyone for your support and advices. As I had mentioned about taking my young one to emergency, I did take him early Sunday morning. The doctor checked his ear and took out some dirt. He told me that my son has ear infection which was causing high fever. He prescribed amoxicilin and ibrufen. Even after taking these medicines, he had very high fever(103.5) till this morning and the fever was recurring every 5 hours. Today, he had fever this morning at 4:00am and came back again at 1:30pm which means the fever is not recurring that fast as before. I also took him today to his regular doctor to see if things are getting better. His doctor did a urine test which came out clean and also adviced us to do a blood test which we did, waiting on report...Right now he is playing with his big brother. Me and my wife are happy to see him playing and laughing..

Thanks again to everyone.
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Experienced User
Alright?
Is he alright now?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
He is alright now but..
Good thing is he doesn't have fever anymore. His doctor told me that the blood test report that came out on Thursday doesn't indicate bacterial infection and advice us not to give antibiotic anymore to the child. Further, the report indicates that it's viral. The doctor at emergency room just prescribed antibiotic without knowing what's causing him to have fever.

Thank you concernedn for your concern.
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2009
Experienced User
Antibiotic not required
I agree with the doctor who asked NOT to give antibiotic. Since the infection is viral, the immune system is good enough to take care of it. The doctor at emergency room prescribed antibiotic probably because he did not want to take a chance and since your child is so young. By the way, how old is he and what infection is/was he suffering from?
|