Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Recurring hernia's

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Ok, I know this is going to be lengthy, but my wife is not having an easy time with this. I just wanted to post and get some ideas and opinions on the matter. Her surgical history is extensive since our last child was born via c-section. Approx. 1 yr later she was told she had a mass on her ovary and that it might be cancer. Turned out to be that her ovary was turned inside out. When they removed the ovary they made an incision about 9 inches in length from the top of the pelvic area to past her belly button. Since this surgery, the real problems began. She had to use a wound vaccuum for about two months to get the incision to heal. Shortly after they removed her from the vac she was in the hospital for restricted bowels due to five hernia's. When the hernia's were removed they placed a large piece of mesh and said that it would prevent more hernias from recurring. Now she once again has a hernia that bulges out behind her belly button and is about the size of a softball, if not bigger. Her bowels have not become constriced yet, but she lives in constant pain daily. Sometimes she can barely move across the house without being in excrutiating pain. The doctor has refused to repair the hernia due to her being about 50 lbs overweight. She has no ability to loose this weight because any form of exercise is physically impossibe due to the pain. At her last appointment they told her she would most likely just have to live with it and wear a support strap or girdle to help with her pain. Is there really any good reason for them to not repair this hernia? I would like to know of any ideas to help her pain since they wont give her anything but motrin. Please post any ideas or suggestions.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi navyman101....I am well aware of hernias as I have dealt with these with my husband...Yes, I have an idea...She will not like it, but it is the only way possible to heal...She does have the ability to help herself...This is to lose that 50 pounds and maybe even more...This way it will ease the pressure that these surgeries are putting on her body...It must be done...Unless she does this one of these could rupture and this could be very serious...

IMO, she should cut down her calorie count to 1,000 calories a day...Count every calorie...Sugars make you more hungry...Salty items make you fill up with water...Drink 8 glases of water a day and use vitamins...Possibly see a Nutritionist to work with her on her meals...I never used one myself and set my own diet...It's learning to adjust your calories a day that were important for me...Maybe she can go slightly more than this, but I doubt it as she is inactive....She must learn to govern what she eats...It can be done...She has no choice...She is dealing with life and possibly death in some cases with a rupture....

I send both of you my best wishes....Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?