Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

recurring broken ribs and no reason no answers

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
i have had recurring broken ribs going on over a year now. but this last 2 months ive been in pain and cracking ribs 3 times. i found through a bone scan the 5 ribs that were found broken on my left side from a ct scan in october, have never healed 6-7 months later. im at my wits end and the doctors dont really know what to do with me anymore, ive had just about every test. its not osteopeorios they say, and im only 36 anyways. help anyone!!!!!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 14th, 2010
RIB FRACTURES, UNDIAGNOSED
IAN827--PLEASE write me and put RIB FRACTURES in the subject line. There are other individuals with this problem as well and I'm trying to "gather" everyone to work on a questionnaire so we can hopefully get to the common factor here. I've been to 8 doctors AND the Mayo Clinic and NO ONE has figured this out! Thanx!
|
Users who thank krazeekiwi for this post: kkclark 

replied October 13th, 2011
Ribs keep breaking
I am having the same problem, I have always been healthy and I am a 35 year old male. I have broken 4 ribs in the last 2 months without any trauma. This week I had a bone scan, where they found at least 5 prior breaks including 3 in my back. At this point they have no answers.... Please Help if you have any answers...
|

replied August 25th, 2010
In last six months I have broken 5 ribs without any trauma, they just seem to snap.I suffer from osteoporosis but not to the extent that it would break my ribs.Have yet to see a Dr.He will send me for bone density tests an xrays.If he finds the cause I will let you know.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
broken ribs
My sister has this problem. She's getting tested today. Does anyone here think its something called osteogenesis imperfecta/brittle bone disease? Her neck was causing her a lot of pain and problems about a month ago and now her ribs. My mom is worried she has bone cancer. Anyone with similar problems here who can help?
|

replied October 14th, 2010
Recurring Rib Fractures
I have experienced recurring rib fractures for over 5 years now. I was fracture free for 2 years and just within the past 3 weeks I fractured two. I also went through a battery of tests to find what was really going on. A bone scan was the only test which showed the fractures. Xrays were useless as the fractures as so small. The pain I feel is the fracture trying to mend itself back together but it is not aligned properly. I have a low bone density and a little osteo arthritis but otherwise healthy. I am 45 years old. No other broken bones. Doctors are mystifed. I am seeing a thoracic surgeon at Brigham & Women's in Boston.
|

replied October 26th, 2010
Update on my sister

She ended up having a thyroid problem which some how caused her ribs to break and bones to become weak/brittle. I am not sure on the specifics of it all but she is going to have an operation on her thyroid and have something removed. I believe there is some type of wierd growth thing going on. Thyroid problems run in our family. Hopefully this gives a few of you to ask your doc's about.
|
Users who thank ctbent for this post: kkclark 

replied November 24th, 2010
i'm on my 5th broken rib in 4 months!!
it didnt show up on the x-ray, ct and bone scan showed a fracture, cancer is not suspected and i am a breast cancer survivor.
i can feel it or hear it when it cracks again, then the exteme pain for about 6-7 days then it tapers off. my doctors have no clue,,,i'm 45
doing blood tests for tumor markers next,,,
can you tell me moe about the thyroid issue...? tks
|

replied December 5th, 2010
let me know if you here any more on the thyroid thing, i have fractured 2 ribs in the past month.

Thanks.

|

replied December 8th, 2010
here is an explination of the thyriod being involved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Recklingh ausen%27s_disease_of_bone

Osteitis fibrosa cystica, abbreviated OFC, and also known as osteitis fibrosa, osteodystrophia fibrosa , or Von Recklinghausen's disease of bone is a skeletal disorder caused by a surplus of parathyroid hormone from over-active parathyroid glands. This surplus stimulates the activity of osteoclasts, cells that break down bone, in a process known as osteoclastic bone resorption. Osteoclastic bone resorption releases minerals, including calcium, from the bone into the bloodstream. In addition to elevated blood calcium levels, over-activity of this process results in a loss of bone mass, a weakening of the bones as their calcified supporting structures are replaced with fibrous tissue (peritrabecular fibrosis), and the formation of cyst-like brown tumors in and around the bone. The symptoms of the disease are the consequences of both the general softening of the bones and the excess calcium in the blood, and include bone fractures, kidney stones, nausea, appetite loss, and weight loss.
|

replied October 13th, 2011
Breaking ribs with low or no impact.
I am having the same problem, I have broken 4 ribs in the last 2 months, with low or no impact. I am a 35 year old male. These are not just fractures they are actual breaks. I am currently getting a series of test done... Bone scan and blood work done this week and a bone density test scheduled at the end of the month. I am hoping that we will get to the bottom of this soon because my father died of bone cancer when he was only 41 years old.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 21st, 2012
Also 5 fractured ribs and 2 more bruised. Trauma due to fall off ladder on back. 10 months now and no relief. Had bone scan 5 months ago. Wonder if some sort of back support would help. I am active ut have to set in a chaira lot after a little activity. I see no end in sight. 76 year old healthy mail.
|

replied February 18th, 2014
Frequently cracked ribs
All of these posts were from a few years ago; any updates on these situations? I am experiencing something similar, but not as frequent as those listed above. Looking for answers.
|
Tags: bone
Quick Reply