Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Recurring blisters on feet (Page 1)

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
My boyfriend has lots of small and big blisters all over his feet. This has been a problem for quit some time! He wears comfortable shoes and socks/ and or flip flops. They itch him alot as well. I have seen athletes foot before and this isn't it. We cannot afford expensive orthotics or a doctor visit! He works out about everyday and this foot problem makes it frustrating to go about his daily routine. please help? _lynn Brockman
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper davidfromlondon
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2009
Community Volunteer
It sounds like Athletes Foot. Since it is not clearing on its own...a visit to a dermatologist might be in order.

The most common locations for athlete's foot include:

Spaces (webs) between the toes, especially between the 4th and 5th toes and between the 3rd and 4th toes

Soles of the feet

Tops of the feet

Athlete's foot may affect one or both feet. It can look different depending on which part of the foot (or feet) is involved and which fungus (ie, dermatophyte) has caused the infection:

On the top of the foot, athlete's foot appears as a red scaly patch or patches, ranging in size from 1 to 5 cm. The border of the affected skin may be raised, with bumps, blisters, or scabs. Often, the center of the lesion has normal-appearing skin with a ring-shaped edge, leading to the descriptive but inaccurate name ringworm. (It is inaccurate because there is no worm involved.)
Between the toes (the interdigital spaces), athlete's foot may appear as inflamed, scaly, and soggy tissue. Splitting of the skin (fissures) may be present between or under the toes. This form of athlete's foot tends to be quite itchy.
On the sole of the foot (the plantar surface), athlete's foot may appear as pink-to-red skin with scales ranging from mild to widespread (diffuse).
Another type of tinea pedis infection, called bullous tinea pedis, has painful and itchy blisters on the arch (instep) and/or the ball of the foot.
The most severe form of tinea pedis infection, called ulcerative tinea pedis, appears as painful blisters, pus-filled bumps (pustules), and shallow open sores (ulcers). These lesions are especially common between the toes but may involve the entire sole. Because of the numerous breaks in the skin, lesions commonly become infected with bacteria. Ulcerative tinea pedis occurs most frequently in people with diabetes and others with weak immune systems.

Self-Care Guidelines
If you suspect that you have athlete's foot, you might try one of the following over-the-counter antifungal creams or lotions:

Terbinafine
Clotrimazole
Miconazole

Apply the antifungal cream between the toes and to the soles of both feet for at least 2 weeks after the areas are completely clear of lesions.

In addition, try to keep your feet dry, creating a condition where the fungus cannot live and grow:

Wash your feet daily and dry them carefully, even using a hair dryer (on low setting) if possible.
Use a separate towel for your feet, and do not share this towel with anyone else.
Wear socks made of cotton or wool, and change them once or twice a day, or even more often if they become damp.

Avoid shoes made of synthetic materials such as rubber or vinyl.

Wear sandals as often as possible.

Apply antifungal powder to your feet and inside your shoes every day.

Wear protective footwear in locker rooms and public or community pools and showers.

When to Seek Medical Care

If the lesions do not improve after 2 weeks of applying over-the-counter antifungal creams or if they are exceptionally itchy or painful, see your doctor for an evaluation. If you have blisters, pustules, and/or ulcers on your feet, see a doctor as soon as possible.
|

replied February 10th, 2013
use apple cider vinegar it works and drink a tablespoon every day with honey
|

replied July 26th, 2009
blisters on feet
I get reccurring blisters on my left foot that resemble cold sores, they are not sore or itchy, but look awful. they appear on both sides of my foot as well as the sole of my foot, they appear in clusters of 3 or 4 blisters in any 1 area, the blisters then change in to dry scabs after a while, what are they, and how can I get rid of them?
|

replied January 13th, 2012
solution - worked for me
There is a solution - cheap and easy! I don't get them anymore - at all!

I suffered from exactly the same - blister that burn like hell, have to pop them (only other sufferers know how hellish the burning is), clear watery liquid comes out when popped.

Simple solution that worked for me - PLEASE TRY THIS: Antibacterial hand gel, you can get it everywhere these days, the type they use in hospitals to 'cleanse your hands'. Usually says 'kills 99% skin bacteria' on the bottle. 1/100ml in UK.

Rub on hands/feet liberally (lots of it) after washing. Allow it to dry - do not wash it off. 24 hours is all you need. Apply 2-3 days for a good measure.

If you currently have blisters apply as above and again after the blisters are completely healed. Use a sharp clean needle to puncture the blister and release fluid if you feel you must puncture.

Please come back and tell everyone if it worked or did not work for you.
|

replied September 3rd, 2012
I have had athletes foot most of my life. Actually, I cannot remember ever being free of it.

Well, I have used this for 3 days now and so far it is working. I'm now wearing sandals WITHOUT SOCKS and without the embarrassing smell of pizza in the room!!!

IT WORKS!!!!!!
|

replied September 3rd, 2012
PS
I had used over the counter medicine before... It made my feet all slippery and uncomfortable and at the end of the day the moisture from the OTC medicine still made my feet smell... Try this.. It has worked for me for the last three days Smile
|

replied January 7th, 2013
Can you please tell me which cream this is?? thank you so much
|

replied June 17th, 2013
It's Hand Sanitizer and it works! I've suffered with this issue for years and saw this post a few days ago. I started washing my feet morning and night, then rubbing hand sanitizer in after, and wearing flip flops. Haven't had a blister for two days and feet are peeling to reveal healthy pink skin underneath the dead layers. I'm beyond satisfied with the results and can't believe how simple the solution was after all this time!
|

replied October 25th, 2012
blisters on feet
Oh please help! Been to 4 different Dr.
Obviously still dealing with these HUGE BLISTERS!
Started on my feet - both, & had 3 on hands,
Which they are healing. This started 10/4/12 and
Still exist Sad o thought my feet were healing but no
See 2 more coming. I can't where shoes.
The blood test & wound cultural test was negative. What is.this???
|

replied December 21st, 2012
that is about the same time min e started what part of the country are you in I am currently in Texas when it started, I had blisters on my hands about a year ago when I visited Texas they went away when I moved back home to Alabama took about two months but finally they cleared up, they are getting on my hands again now also
|

replied December 21st, 2012
I am going to try this I have been popping them and now it looks like my skin is rotting off, I can barely walk now, it has covered my whole arch of my foot about 2inches long and wide, I used bandaids now there is a thickening of the skin around where I picked the scabs off after popping the blisters and I think it is about 4 skin layers deep. It looks horrible and like it is rotting away eating at my flesh.
|

replied January 18th, 2013
feet blisters
use apple cider vinegar soak all gone in a hr and it was bad
|

replied July 29th, 2009
I've been having the same problem for 2 years now. First, I though it was a wart, so have been applying wart remover, it would remove it but then it reoccurs after a while. So now, what I usually do is, I pop them up with a nail clipper or something and wash it a lot because it spreads, I first had it on my feet only and eventually I got it into my fingers, so make sure not to touch it and after you pop them make sure to wash it with soap with cold water, and then I deep my feet in a cold water with a Sea Salt that I bought from a Korean Market. I do that every day, in the morning and after I come from outside because when you walk outside thats when you sweat and develop them, basically the treatment is to stay cool at all times. That's how I deal with it, I really hope that anybody posted us a permanent solution for this because I do this every summer.
I found out that it could be Dyshidrotic Eczema that's caused from an abnormal sweating, they call it also Pompholyx. Basically sweat holes are blocked and causing this, and I kind of noticed that I was having it on my fingers after I touch my daughter's sweaty head or hair. So very possible, but not 100% sure. Treatments are not determined yet, so looks like it will appear every summer. Other than sea salt, you could use Potassium Permanganate or Vinegar in a water. I started taking very cool showers and using always cold water when I wash hands or feet. If anybody knows other ways, please update us. I will appreciate it a lot.
|

replied June 10th, 2011
2chis your reply was very helpful to me - I've been getting them for years and it sucks at night when they're itchy!! much appreciated...
|

replied December 29th, 2011
i had the same problem. i also have guttate psoriasis, i put clobetasol propionate on the them,(my psoriasis medicine) and it not only cleared it up, but it helps with the itching in the process. good luck,it really is an awful thing... i found that certain plastics cause it. it isnt athletes foot its an allergy. i get it on my fingers if i have acrylic nails on, and certain socks or pantyhose have the same chemicals... hope this helps.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
I have had the same problem for three years i have no clue what else to do, but i will try this see if it helps, but i have a feeling im gonna have to go to a dermatologist,,,did this clear it up???
|

replied September 14th, 2011
I use to have this problem and I went on a camping trip for a month and the blisters (on my left foot only) disappeared. When I returned home from the trip they returned after a few days. I figured out that the only thing I did different on the trip was that I drank only spring water from a fresh spring at the camp. Now began the experiment. I started getting my drinking water from a local spring and the blisters went away. Then I started drinking public tap water and they came back. I now drink only spring water and have had no reocurrence. But beware! What ever is in tap water is also in soft drinks, and milk, and juice and especially gator aide, and some bottled water (you have to experiment). To remain blister free I don't drink anything but spring water.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
Well done. You have discovered what many others have not. Tap water and pop and juices are processed and cause the body to become acidic and disrupt the normal balance of the body. An alkaline environment is optimal for self healing and optimal immunity against fungi, yeast and even viruses. Milk and dairy are neutral so they are good drink choices (2 servings per day!) Just FYI it takes 10 glasses of water to flush out the acidity of ONE soda..... Thanks for sharing!
|

replied July 30th, 2009
That sounds exactly the same! Thank you for the info and the advice, will try it out, popping them sounds painful though!
|

replied August 4th, 2009
blisters on feet
they have many different methods too, today i saw my left foot cleared, now i'm fighting with my right foot only.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
weceeewec
rek
|

replied October 14th, 2009
The answer
Ok people seriously stop popping blisters! It is a portal of entry for micro-organisms (especially somewhere moist and warm like the feet it's the perfect environment for them) this will eventually lead to infection. If left untreated even infections of the smallest areas can become systemic and life threatening, if benzoyl peroxide and clotrimazole which are found in most anti-bacterial/fungal creams don't work see a doctor. Chances are this can be treated simply with a topical ointment that wont cost a lot (probably half as much as all of the other methods you've already tried)
|

replied October 30th, 2012
Just a reply
you must have never suffered the agony of these blisters that everyone is talking about and the Dr's are clueless. Just spent 4 1/2 hours in the e.r. because i had one so big and painful, i was on crutches. The Dr's response was what would you like for us to do, it's a blister? Here's something for pain and benadryl for the itch. Have a nice day! They would rather me be dependant on narcotics than help.
|

replied November 1st, 2009
I have a big blisters in my arch and i feel pain and i been treating this for one month ago then its gone suddenly it came back and now it is huge blisters can any one tell what can i do.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
Dyshidrotic Eczema
DO NOT POP THE BLISTERS as it actually takes longer to heal and opens up your already sensitive skin to other infections, it is dyshidrotic eczema and not much is known about this type. Sweating is believed to be the cause but after dealing with this problem for last 8 yrs of my life i realised causes for me can be nickel, or basically most metals like copper etc that have bad reactions. Stress is also a big player with this type of eczema. DO NOT USE STEROID CREAMS as doctors prescribe as this is a temporary solution to a life long probelm, steroids will actually damage your skin and this problem will get worse over time.

Best solutions i have found are tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic antibacterial and antifungal solution, use 40% tea tree oil with a base oil eg olive oil to treat. drink lots of water and keep feet as dry as possible so the blisters can dry out, the quicker they dry the quicker it will heal. Tea tree oil foot powder is great and works well, peroxide solution to soak your feet in also helps heal and disinfect that area... this condition is often mistaken for fungal disease, however it is not but often due to this eczema it weakens the skin and is very sensitive to fungal infections so be careful...

Best of luck with this as it really is life long and the sooner you know what triggers yours the better Smile
|

replied July 27th, 2011
itchy blistery feet
I started putting Mineral oil on feet AM & PM it helps.
|

replied March 22nd, 2013
I agree. While the itching makes it almost impossible to NOT drain these things, I treat them with Tea Tree in almond oil for three or four days (morning and nighttime) and it's helped immensely. Gotta check out the tea tree foot powder, though. Other powders don't help at all.
|

replied January 29th, 2010
Blisters on foot
I have been dealing with this intense itching on my left foot that leads to blisters which lead to infection since 2003. When it first happened in 2003, the infection was so bad I was almost hospitalized. It would only happen every 2 years or so after that up until the last couple years. It's happening all the time now. I'm constantly on an antibiotic for the infections, which isn't good either. I've been to numerous doctors. Some have said it's athletes foot and some disagree. I've never heard of athletes foot like this. I don't have any other signs of athletes foot and it only happens on my left foot usually in between my 4th and 5th toes. They've taken cultures and blood to test and everything has always come back negative. If anyone knows what this might be please let me know. This has been going on too long.
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
I have Dyshidrotic eczema and I get these blisters on the bottom of my feet in the arch area. I used pure aloe and it went away. As long as I remember to use it every day I don't have a problem with them. When I first started getting these I got them on my palms too. They have never come back there. And yes, stress is a major cupid.
|

replied March 13th, 2010
First of all I would like to say greetings!

I have been having water blisters appear just below my fourth and fifth toes of my left foot. Usually I just leave them alone and apply Tenactin to the blisters after every shower and before bed. Previous ones just drain by themselves and the kind dies which I just pick off.

But I would love to see a long term resolution to this blister problem. I have read into some basic remedies just keeping feet dry, get slightly bigger shoes, and wear noncotton socks to block out moisture. Is this enough to stop these blisters? They're more of a bother than painful one of the blisters that I had were as big as my pinky toe!
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
I have the same recurring blisters primarily on my pinky & sometimes between my neighboring toe. They are preceded by an itching sensation. They look like a watery blister made up of small tiny nodules of a clear substance beneath the skin. This has been happening every 4 to 6 weeks for a couple of years now. I''ve been to Three doctors who can''t figure it out either. The best suggestion was from my family doctor which was to try to do what what works best (I use Campho-Phenque) but this only slows the process. I''m hoping someone finds the cure. They seem like fever blisters brought on by stress?
|

replied July 14th, 2010
good read
This was a great forum to read regarding these persistent little foot "blisters" - Perhaps my experience(s) may be of help as well.

I believe these small "blisters" are collections of a type of clear puss. Popping may be the wrong thing to do, but it isn't painful and when they dry out the skin peels off and leaves new healthy skin below. Till it happens again.

I believe stress has a lot to do with it, that plus our diets and the amount of H2O we forget to drink. I also believe moderate to heavy smoking has a lot to do with on-setting the issue along with lack of rest. I find that by eating better (less grease & fat), drinking at least 5 glasses of water a day, sleeping better and smoking less that these symptoms reside. In addition, cardiovascular exercise and getting a "good sweat" 3-4 times per week is extremely important as you sweat out poisons/impurities so they have fewer chances of accumulating.

Issues with our extremities (hands, feet, scalp) many times accelerate or inflame due to poor circulation, or lack of circulation. Exercise, as we all know, along with good hydration is key in helping our bodies stay healthy and able to resist these types of ailments. It's nice that there are some solutions which do not involve the need for pharmaceuticals.

I hope this was helpful!
|

replied July 16th, 2010
Itchy Watery Blisters on feet
I just wanted to give you some advice that a dr gave me, I have the same watery blisters on my feet that itch like crazy and my dr told me it is a form of "yeast infection." She also told me to go get vagisil or monistate the cream and wash my feet at night b4 going to bed apply a liberal amount to my feet put on clean socks and wear them to bed. When you get up of a morning wash your feet and carry on about your day as normal. I did this for a week and it cleared my feet right up, how ever the blisters do come back. If you catch an outbreak early on and do this it will get rid of it quicker. I will swear to this remedy. I've been to many different dr's and 3 dermatologist to be told it was athletes feet and no matter what medicines and creams they put me on nothing worked. It wouldn't get rid of the out break or if it did, it wasn't all the way i would still have a few blisters left. So one night I had to go to the emergency room for a different problem and while there I asked the er dr about it and she said to try this remedy and i did! Once again I swear to this. Goodluck!!
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Wow, that sounds a lot like the blisters I get one my feet. The ONLY happen on my left foot and mostly in the arch area. They itch horribly, eventually dry up and go away, but always come back. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. The first time it happened was after my son was inpatient in the hospital and I had to use the hospital parent showers one time. I often wondered if I picked something up there. This was probably 4 or 5 years ago. I asked my doctor about it (of course I didn't have the watery filled blisters at the time, only the dried version). He said he thought it was eczema. He prescribed some sort of cream (think it was cortizone). I never have used it because they were going away at the time. I have gone as much as a year without having any or even as short a time as a month. I do have a lot of stress in my life (son born with kidney failure), but the past 6 years have been pretty boring (my son is 14 years post kidney transplant and doing awesome!), not a lot of stress. Wanted to thank you for your post and I will try vagisil or similar and see if it helps! That itch is something I have NEVER felt before, I would scratch myself raw, or even rub it raw just because it was an unbearable itch!!
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Itchy blisters
I had this for years when I was young. My feet would sweat and these monsterous itchy blisters would pop up. I used antipersperant on my feet and it went away. Every now and then I will get a small one on my hands. Could be nerve damage that caused Hyperhydrosis, Tissue mast cells, or just plain tough skin.
|

replied July 21st, 2010
Athletes foot with blisters respond to Domeboro
My son struggled with this as an athlete and I actually had to take him to the emergency room one night because his football trainer popped the blisters and they became infected. I researched this and learned the condition is a form athletes foot called "vesicular," and anti-fungal meds do not fully cure it although they may prevent its recurrence. We got rid of it by having him soak his feet several times a day in DOMEBORO astringent solution, which is available over the counter at CVS and other pharmacies. The blisters will dry up and the soak kills the cause. Am sending him to college next month with a full supply!
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Itchy Watery Blisters on feet reply
Thanks bumbalough33397. It will give it a try. It sounds logical. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
|

replied August 20th, 2010
I had all this watery blisters 3 yrs. ago. It was very very itchy. Then It would get sore! It was not fun at all. I tried so many anti fungal and cortisones and nothing happened. What I did was I soaked my feet with warm water and white vinegar..about 3/4 vinegar and 1/4 water... I used a basin and did it every 3 days at night for 25 mins.... After 2 weeks it was gone.. And it never came back until now.. Hope it helps and hope it will also work with you guys...
|

replied August 20th, 2010
Or you can soak your feet every night maybe it heals faster...goodluck...
|