Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Recurring Adult Mononucleosis (Page 1)

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I am 25 y/o male who has had recurring mono for 4 years now. Is there any end to this hell?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
I don't know, but I'm sorry you're going through this too. I was just diagnosed at 28 for the 3rd time in 3 years. It is, without a doubt, the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. Take care of youself.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Hi all: For those of you who have had a recurrence, do you know what triggered it? Was diagnosed two years ago with Mono at the age of 37. Never had a sore throat but my lymph nodes under arm hurt for several weeks and then I did notice some fatigue for several weeks but I got better and went on. Had what I thought was a major medical issue(turned out not to be, Just GERD)about 7 weeks ago, so I was under a bunch of stress. About a week later I felt my lymph nodes under arm, groin, and chin become sore, and it seems like a relapse is occuring. Just had blood work done and all is normal, but they did not re-test me for Mono(unfortunately). Any thoughts? Common sense tells me there has to be some correlation between a high level of stress and the chance of recurrence, right? Thanks for any reply......
|

replied October 17th, 2014
Hi all: for all that are having relapses of mononucleosis remember the virus is in your body forever it'll never go away and yes high levels of stress will cause it to come again. The only thing you can do is first eat a very healthy diet and try to avoid any high level of stress.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
My doctor told me that he believes stress caused my most recent relapse. He said if I don't sleep enough and do too much again I could end up sick again.

You may want to get tested. The mono spot test will come back positive because you've already had it but they can check your antibody levels through a specific test.

Good luck.
|

replied August 27th, 2010
I have read many different sights on mono. They all say about the same thing. I found out I had mono early this year. Doctor took to type of blood test. One to see if I just contracted it or if i got it as a child. From the results I caught mono as a child. My lymph nodes behind my ears were large. I had noticed for several years every so often i would see one side lymph node would pop up.It would stay for a week or two then go away.This reaccurded every few months. I have read that it could take several years to go away.I wonder if I am one of those who is a carrier.
|

replied September 14th, 2011
Mono
Mono is no fun at all. I was diagnosed with Mono when I was 14. I unfortunately had severe symptoms that lasted for about 8 months and lost 17lbs. I am 24 years old now and I am starting to have similar symptoms. I just recently pierced my tongue (a week ago today) and thought that the lymph node flare up had something to do with that. I went into the doctor last night and they immediatley wanted to run bloodwork especially knowing that i had mono in the past. They do not feel as though the piercing has anything to do with the flare up as it does not seem to be infected at all. I have had a low grade fever for about 4 days now and it just makes me feel crummy and very very tired. Overall I thought maybe I was having flu-like symptoms. I will re-post with results. I will be doing bloodwork today.
|

Mono
Mono is no fun at all. I was diagnosed with Mono when I was 14. I unfortunately had severe symptoms that lasted for about 8 months and lost 17lbs. I am 24 years old now and I am starting to have similar symptoms. I just recently pierced my tongue (a week ago today) and thought that the lymph node flare up had something to do with that. I went into the doctor last night and they immediatley wanted to run bloodwork especially knowing that i had mono in the past. They do not feel as though the piercing has anything to do with the flare up as it does not seem to be infected at all. I have had a low grade fever for about 4 days now and it just makes me feel crummy and very very tired. Overall I thought maybe I was having flu-like symptoms. I will re-post with results. I will be doing bloodwork today.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
The virus that causes mono is one of many, many pathogens that can make you sick, fluish, feverish etc..
It is unwise to think the virus is recurring, when this would most likely be the most Unlikely explanation.

yes, mono can rev your immune system for a long time..But by 10 years you should be completely recovered. Now this is different than a true recurrence, generally those happen to everyone only without symptoms..However for some unfortunate souls, like myself, it can cause symptoms again....Which for me, was very, very, very unpleasant. I hope this isn't you too! Smile
|

replied September 15th, 2011
I know that mono stays in your system forever but I guess should have clarified. I am thinking that I am experiencing sypmtoms again. Could I have been re-infected with a different strain? I know that there is EBV and CMV. They are testing me for both of the possibilities.
|

I know that mono stays in your system forever but I guess should have clarified. I am thinking that I am experiencing sypmtoms again. Could I have been re-infected with a different strain? I know that there is EBV and CMV. They are testing me for both of the possibilities.
|

|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yes, it's possible..But like the old saying goes, the simplest explanation is usually correct...Contracting CMV/EBV is not the simplest explanation.

At one time they called mononucleosis the great mimicker, because it's symptoms where so non-specific and varied, that it looked like many other illnesses. The symptoms of mono, really aren't all that "specific", meaning the symptoms alone do not tell you much. For example, the bulls-eye rash seen with Lyme disease is very specific to Lyme alone. So it's a more reliable clue in ascertaining a diagnosis.

Can you tell me again your symptoms and how long you've had each of them?
|

Fever that has now persisted since Sunday. It is relatively low grade <101. Swollen lymph nodes on the neck and underneath the chin, crummy feeling like I have the flu and frequent headaches. I dont have a sore throat and I remember the first time around I could barely swallow. I am unable to take Ibubrofen due to an allergy so I have been controlling my symptoms with Tylenol. Overall the Tyelnol is doing the trick for the headaches if I stay on top of them but my fever even on tylenol is still around 99. I know that is not very high but my normal body temp is around 97.2-6 so I feel crummy around that temp. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me understand. I really appreciate it.
Kirsten
|

replied September 21st, 2011
Has anyone had issue with their eyes? I have had Mono since November 2010 or so the doctor thinks however I was not diagneosed until June 2011 and here I am in September and I'm stick again... I got a bit better in July and then I went through a series of very stressful things in my life and now here I am with a sore throat sever dry eyes that keep dialating huge and am constantly nausiated... we have tested for everything and everything comes back ok. I also feel like I'm going to pass out at times and I still have abdominal pains which come and go... I'm so tired of this I am constantly worried something is seriously wrong with me and I just can't seem to feel normal. I dont even rememeber what it feels like to be healthy and I'm 24 years old...
|

replied April 26th, 2014
Hey
I'm currently 23 years old and am going through the same thing as of right now. I was wondering if you were ever diagnosed and/or treated? This would be very helpful to know!
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Recurring Mononucleosis
Are there any ways to boost immunity to speed recovery from mono?

I got mono in 2005 at the age of 43. After 4 weeks thought I'd recovered and went back to work and exercising. Had a relapse after a few days. Have kept having relapses since if I exercise too much. I have gradually got worse over the years, so that walking the dog for an hour 3 times a week can trigger a relapse. Symptoms include cold-like : sneezing, running nose, sore throat and physical weakness. If I don't get complete rest I end catching a secondary infection. This has been recurring for the last 6 years. Before mono I used to cycle 2 hours a day and lived an active life. Now I feel like an old man. Doctors in New Zealand have been no help to me. They insist that mono can't last this long, and since they can't explain my symptoms they insist the problem can't be real. One thing that has help me is intravenous Vit C, but it only lasts about 3 weeks.
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Mono/CFS
I was diagnosed with mononucleosis 26 years ago. As one of these responses noted you start to feel better after 10 yrs. I am much recovered but it took years of trial and error. Find a good doctor and ride it out. You will come out of it. I still have some issues w/fatigue and other symptoms like vertigo, issues w/my vision, chronic sinus etc., but I work full time. I no longer suffer from malaise due to exercise.. For those that have malaise - have a Tilt Table test to check your blood pressure. I found my blood pressure was so low that it caused memory problems and a feeling of disorientation. A medication called Florinef can raise your blood pressure if it is low. Good luck - there is hope on the other side.
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2013
Mono
I had mono as a teenager and it was very severe... Then at age 32 had some symptoms and was told I had mono ( mono spot test was positive... Since then I have had tested positive on the mono spot test 4 times in the past twelve years..the most recent test was yesterday... I have alot of the same symptoms... If it is chronic meaning a past infection, does that mean I don't actually have it now?? If not why did spot test come back positive and why do I have these symptoms.. I heard ebv has also been linked to certain cancers.. Should I be concerned?? So tired of being tired!! Any help would be appreciated..thanks
|

replied March 25th, 2013
I had mono at the age of 28. It was quite severe, I had to stop working for 3 weeks and the pain was intense. Then, I had a recurring form with mostly fatigue + headache + some mouth symptoms, during spring in general, on a yearly basis. Not sure if related to stress, maybe. I read the advice about vitamin C, I will try (normal form, I would prefer to avoid intravenous!).
|

replied March 25th, 2013
MONO please read! Need opinions.
I am a 41 year old female that was diagnosed with a recent infection of mono in January of this year. I have had symptoms of mono off and on (mostly on) for years. Some of my persistant symptoms were pain in my lymph nodes, headache and severe fatigue. They did a test on me that showed that I had it in the past but did a titer test that also showed that I had a new infection with it. That was in January. I have been off work since and have shown no improvement except the headaches have mostly subsided. Now its March 25, I seen a infection doctor that ran multiple tests to find out why I continued to feel the same way. I was told today that everything was normal EXCEPT they ran another titer test for MONO and I am still showing as a recent infection. My doctors say that this very abnormal. They are putting me on an antiviral medication for two weeks. I am also seeing a surgeon Wed for a poss biopsy. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2013
Experienced User
Very interesting? How did the biopsy go?
|

replied June 15th, 2013
They decided not to do it because it wasnt my lymph node that wsa swollen it was my salivary gland.
|

replied August 4th, 2013
Can Recurring Mono be Caused by Strep Infection?
I'm a 43 y/o female, who was recently diagnosed with Strep & Mono. This is my third bought of Mono, with the first occurring in 1989 and the second in 1996. I live alone and have not been in contact with anyone with Mono. The Strep however is a different story. After a recent catered party, 18 of 23 guests fell ill with a serious strep infection, which was determined to be food-borne. When I was hospitalized for the high fever, the lab work indicated the same strep as my friends from the party but that I had Mono as well. When I said I already had mono, additional blood work was done, and the doctor verified a current, acute Mono infection. I just figured that I must have oddly picked up the mono, perhaps at the country club around so many children and that the Strep was from the party... I was just unlucky enough for them to hit simultaneously. Then, another party goer who had been diagnosed with the Strep was not recovering. She went back to the doctor about 2 weeks after the party and her initial Strep diagnosis to find that she too has Mono. The two of us, who live in the same neighborhood, have not had any physical contact in the months leading up to the party. Her dog was sick the night of the party so she did not even attend personally. Rather, another neighbor brought her food from the party since she could not attend. What is curious is that the two of us by far had the worst cases of illness from the party Strep. We are similar in age and both had Mono twice in our twenties. The two situations just seem too coincidental. Could our recent bouts of Mono have been somehow caused by the Strep... could the Strep have reinvigorated existing disease in both of us? We could not have possibly caught Mono at the party. Everyone fell ill within 24-48 hours of the event. This is too short for Mono. I was diagnosed with Mono 72 hours after the party. I cannot afford as an adult to feel crappy for weeks on end. If indeed Strep or other infections can become a trigger for recurrent Mono, I need to understand so I can prevent future risk in the future.
|

replied April 30th, 2014
Hello every one!!!
please help me.

I am 32 and i am diagnosed with EBV virus. How can i know it is the first time i got this virus or it is recurring? I had very severe symptoms and at the first 3 weeks it was diagnosed wrongly and i took antibiotics for 2 weeks. my lymph knots were swollen and they got worse during taking antibiotics.

a friend of mine has lymph cancer and she told me i should care about cancer risk? is it really linked? actually i am freaked out a bit as my friend has this cancer.

thanks for giving me expert information
|
12 >>