Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Rectum spasms - IBS ??

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
Hi !!
For some time now I've been feeling spasms while menstruating. Because of the period it happened I thought it was related to the use of tampons. But recently I have felt the pain while not having my period.
As far as bowel movement I am very irregular. Most of the time (since I was a kid) Im constipated, but lately it's been alternating with diarrhea, especially in times of stress.
For the record I am 23 years old and have an esophagal hernia.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Severe, sudden, lancinating pains in the rectal area due to rectal spasm or sudden strong muscle contractions that come and go, are symptom of IBS.
IBS symptoms tend to get worse during menstrual period and stress.
Actually, there are two functional anorectal pain syndromes: Proctalgia fugax (occurring due to spasm of the anal sphincter) and Levator ani syndrome (spasms of the pelvic floor muscles).
They may be associated with irritable bowel syndrome, and both Proctalgia fugax and Levator ani syndrome, may co-exist.

You may get some medications or tips from your physician how to ease the pain, but, in most of the cases the pain can't be avoided.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Thank so much for your help, I looked online and my symptoms are exactly like Proctalgia fugax.
Thanks again
|