Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

rectal bleeding - benign ?

Hi, I have been having bouts of rectal bleeding over the past 3 weeks. First time, I had a small amount of blood on the outside of the stool with pink colour on the toilet paper. 2nd time I just had a streak the size of 1cm but NO blood on the toilet paper. The blood was pretty bright these last 2 times but TODAY it was like a rusty colour and there was a large streak about an inch on 3 separate pieces of stool (3 streaks of about an inch on 3 different stools). Like I said it was a rusty reddish brown colour so it did not look fresh. I'm only 23, so chances are it is a hemorrhoid or anal fissure but what has me worried is the lack of blood on the toilet paper and the colour. Is it possible or typical for hemorrhoidal bleeding to only show some streaks on the outside of the stools but have no blood on the toilet paper? Also since I believe I have internal hemorrhoids, can they bleed back into the rectum? Therefore appear a darker red colour once I pass the stools? The blood appeared always on the outside. In the past 3 years I have had 1 sigmoid and 1 colonoscopy because of dark red blood chunks in my stool. My GI thinks its hemmorhoids that bleed back into the colon and therefore show up darker but I'm not convinced. The colonoscopy revealed anal skin tags and prominent nodular lymphoid hyperplasia only of the terminal ileum which was "of no significance". I just don't know where to go from here. Do I need further testing? Should I put it down to an anal cause since my 2 tests revealed nothing. But please answer my 2 questions about the possibility of hemorrhoids causing darker blood because of it bleeding back into the rectum and also my other question about hemmoroidal bleeding only causing streaks without blood on the toilet paper. Those are the two questions I would like answered. Thanks for taking your time to answer this question.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi danny116...I wish I could, but I can't help you with your questions...Only a Proctologist would be able to give you the answers to your problems...Anyone else is just guessing....Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?