Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Recovery time for gallbladder removal

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Finally after having pains from a bad Gallbladder, I'm having it removed on 3-2-09. I've looked and read everything I can trying to find out just how long I will need to be off work. I'm told it depends on the type of work you do. I'm a City Police Officer and want to hear from any other officer's or anyone who knows an officer who had this surgery and approximately how long they were off. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Time off
Hi, I just had the surgery done last Monday and after discussing it with my surgeon we determined 2 weeks was best. I have a desk job and it can take the first week just to get past the worst pain and inconvenience and another week to get over fatigue. I'd say a bare minimum of 10 days of no work after surgery for the average person w no post surgical complications for a laparascopic procedure. I am not allowed to lift anything over 15 lbs for 6 weeks, either, and that may be an issue at your job. If you have to run after an assailant and jump over fences and open heavy doors or lift weapon caches, you may need more time off or a temporary change in duties until you've healed more.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
2 weeks minimum
I had my gall bladder removed 2/19/09. The first week was mainly laying in bed, eating blandly and lots of pain meds. The second week I could do basic activities. I returned to work the 3rd week, but was still dealing with digestion issues, fatigue and muscle soreness. Thankfully, 6 weeks post-op I am eating lowfat, but normally and have no pain other than mild indigestion/gas etc. Bonus - lost a pound a day for the first two weeks!
|
Users who thank annajames111 for this post: KniteNblue122 

replied June 16th, 2009
My boss wants me to have the surgery on wednesday so I can recover over the weekend and return to work on Monday.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Recovery
I recovered fairly quickly. I had my surgery done on 6/19/09 a Friday and returned to work on Monday 6/29/09. I do have an office job and felt I could have came back to work sooner. My only question is when I can return to the gym and volleyball. I feel that I am ready but don't see my doctor for a follow up until next week. Any thoughts?
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I had mine removed on 06/06/09. I went back to work(office job) on 06/22/09. I'm still not going to the gym, waiting next week to see my doctor.As of right now I haven't had any digestive issues nor any side effect from the surgery.My surgeon said I could continue with my regular diet but I am following a healthy low-fat diet. I've lost ,so far, 8 pounds.
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
I'm going to have mine removed soon, how long will I be out. I work in a pharmacy so I spend all day on my feet. I can't really afford to take a long time off, but I know I really need this surgery. what should I do?
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Flying after gallbladder surgery
Hello - I am seeing the surgeon for the first time 9/2/09. Assume it may take at least a week to schedule the surgery. Does anyone know how long afterwards I can
fly (3 hr. flight). I'm scheduled for take-off 9/24.
Plus, I don't want to be away from home, feeling like
poop. Look forward to feeling better and bless all!
|

replied September 7th, 2009
I would say at least 2 weeks recovery. If your job requires heavy lifting I would guess quite a bit longer. It has been five days for me since my surgery and I am still on the mend. Be prepared for digestive issues... such as nausea, gas, constipation, and diarrhea. But I hear that these issues clear up over time. I wish all you the best.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
The surgeon told me that I could be back to work after 5 days. I hope so, I'm starting a new job!
|

replied March 12th, 2010
Recovery - operation for removal of bleeding Gall Bladder
Hi,

I need to know the recover time from a gall b;ladder operation in a conventional surgery - ( non laproscopic surgery). My mother getting operated today.
|