Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Recovery from mononucleosis

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
User Profile
hi.
i just got over strep throat and then my doctor said i also had mono, this was about 4 weeks ago.
i got over the strep throat in about a week with the antibiotics, and then all i felt was fatigue. i got tired really quickly (one the the symptoms of mono, right?), but that also went away in a couple of days.
i know theres no set in stone time when someone is over mono for sure, but my doctor also said i should probably be okay after my symptoms are gone.
okay as in im rid of the virus and not too contagious anymore.

but im also confused because a lot of people's symptoms seem to last for so long. how come mine went away quicker?

can someone tell me what this means? and if im less contagious now that im back to feeling and have the energy that i did before i got sick?

i've been back to normal for about 2 1/2 weeks

thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2008
Mononucleosis Answer A4379
Current medical status: mono positive about 4 weeks ago
Current medical treatment: anitibiotics for strep throat - healed

Recovery from mono varies from individual to individual. Certain people need a longer period to recover while others might need less time. Fatigue is the most lasting symptom. It can be present for months.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.