Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

Recovery from bacterial spinal meningitis ?

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
User Profile
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed w/ bacterial spinal meningitis and epidural abscess in April 2010. I had lower back surgery to remove the "puss pocket". I suffer numbness from the waist down and still have back pain. What is the expected recovery? Will I have back pain for the rest of my life? Will most of the numbness go away? I am also incontinent both bladder and bowel, will this repair itself?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2010
Meningitis Answer A16130
Thanks foor using this forum......

An Epidural abscess with compression over cord can lead to meningitis and numbness.to evaluate and corelate neurology its imp to know the exact site of the lesion...The numbness slowly iomproves and the power also gradually comes to normal alogwith bladder and bowel...it generally takes six months but signs of recovery should have already begun....for details you have to consult the surgeon who operated...

take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Meningitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.