Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Recovery after Surgery

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
Hi, I had Carpal tunnel surgery done on December 10 on my right hand (domiant hand) I'm regretting it now because I didn't think the recovery would be this long and this painful. I still have pain in my hands and wrist, its getting better, but still there. I still have swelling on my forearm and my fingers look a bit swollen. My fingers are very stiff and I feel the need to always pull them to crack them. I don't have a lot of strength in my wrist, but slowly each day I can do a bit more. Everything I described I didn't feel before the surgery. My carpal tunnel was mostly numbness and pain when doing my job (computer work). Now my fingers are stiff all the time. Will all of this get better and how long does it take? I'm feeling very frustrated and down. I just want to recover asap. My surgeon is on vacation until Jan03, will be seeing him Jan05. I went to the hospital yesterday to see one of the other surgeons who said he will take a look at my hand, he said everything looks normal in terms of the recovery, he said it can take 6-8 weeks. I explained to him all my symptoms and he said its common. I'm concerned that it will never get better, the stiffness in the fingers is what I am concerned about. I can't hold anything in my hand for longer than 5 seconds without my fingers feeling stiff and a bit painful. Any input would be great, I need some positive feedback because this is really getting me down. thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CarolineEF
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
I'm really sorry all the pain that you are going through...If you look through this Forum you will find many wonderful stories of recovery from the surgery...Some take longer than others, but usually all come along just fine...See your doctor...Let us know what he says...Don't overwork your hand and get it more sore than it is...In the meantime stay calm and good luck....Take care..

Caroline
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
thank you
Thank you Caroline. I'm seeing the surgeon on Tuesday, and see what he says. Hoping it heals faster, want to go back to being able to do more things. thank you so much for responding Smile
|

replied February 27th, 2010
i had carpal tunnel surgery 2 days ago on my left hand, my fingers are abit swollen but i have movement in them,im left handed,please can anyone tell me when i can use my hand
|

replied February 14th, 2011
carpal tunnel recovery
i am due to have surgery on the 4th march and didn't know how long it would take to recover, i run my own business so it is not going to be good to be off that length of time but i will let my customers know. hope you all recover well.
|

replied March 11th, 2013
carpal tunnel surgery
i had surgery 3/8/13. hand still wrapped up..i go to dr for a followup on the 19th...will i be able to use my hand right away/ I have been moving my fingers like i was told to do....i also had cyst removed from tendon(in palm) same day
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
kacan,

Everyone reacts to surgery in his/her unique way. And, everyone has his/her own pain tolerance.

Some patients are able to return to activity in just a few days, while others take weeks. It also depends upon what the patient does for a living. Those patients with sedentary jobs can usually get back quicker than those with manual labor jobs.

Continue to move the fingers through as full of a range of motion as your dressings will allow. Do this several times a day.

You might want to Google "six pack of finger exercises". These are the recommended finger exercises to prevent stiffness.

Elevate the hand as much as possible in the first few days. It is better to prevent swelling, than to try to reduce it later.

Good luck.
|