Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Recovery after gallbladder removal?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I just had my gallbladder removed a week ago and the first 4-5 days were not so good. I was still quite nauseated for the first 4-5 days and I'm just starting to feel a little better, but my appetite is still not the greatest and I've still dealt with some nausea here and there. My gallbladder had no stones..it was only inflamed and the duct attached to my gallbladder was very very small. I've heard that for some people, it can take some time after gallbladder surgery to get back to normal. Is this true? Can it take awhile before you stop feeling sick and start feeling back to normal again?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sweett10
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The Postcholecystectomy syndrome (after gallbladder removal syndrome) affects almost 40% of patients with removed gallbladder.
It consist of the following symptoms like abdominal pain, nausea, gas, bloating, and diarrhea plus indigestion, and vomiting.
They, usually follow the surgery and stay for months or years afterwards.
|

replied May 30th, 2009
I had my gallbladder removed because it was diseased. I, too, had no stones. It took a good week and a half before I felt back to normal. I had heard so many people tell me that I would feel great in only a couple of days, so I thought something was wrong with me. I was still burping, feeling bloated, having weird pains here and there, and felt like something was pushing on my ribs. It finally went away and I feel completely normal. It just takes some people more time than others.
|

replied September 17th, 2009
Nausea after gallbladder removal
Thank you Jsmom03 -

You just described exactly how I feel. The difference with me is I had major abdominal surgery in April follow by gallbladder removal one week ago today. I feel a little nauseus and tired out - appetite is ok - plus I have another genetic disease that I am dealing with , All in all I think what I am experiencing is normal and you helped to confirm that!
|

replied April 10th, 2010
gall bladder removal
I had my gall bladder removed (lap method) 3 days ago. I have fairly constant pain and nausea, some burping and general weakness, and finding a bearable sleeping position has been a problem, but on the other hand I can eat fairly normally, drive my car - out of necessity - and work on the computer. Digestive system more or less OK except that I am enormously bloated. I am 60 yrs old.
|

replied April 10th, 2010
Finally, what is the best diet post gallbladder surgery?
|

replied July 14th, 2011
I just had my gall badder taken out hours ago. My doctor told me to eat what I could tolerate. He said to stay away from fried foods and fast foods, which we do as a rule anyway except on special occasions. My doctor found 70-80 stones yesterday. I researched the absolute record for the highest number of stones-somewhere near 1300, Oouch~ that must have hurt. However, I know that 1300 is not the average. I was wanted to know if 80 stones is considered average or above average in the amt surgeons remove.
|

replied September 5th, 2012
gall bladder removal
I had my gall bladder out August 31 st I had a lot if pain but managing it, I still do not feel well enough to walk much less drive, bathe, or work yet, my question is anyone having weakness, feeling faint? I was walking around fine today then out of the blue I got up to walk again and not far just a short distance I felt extremely faint, fatigued my heart was racing, I had to immediately lay down, has anyone else experienced this? Thank you for reading, I'm very worried about my health!
|

replied December 31st, 2012
feel your pain
I had my GB removed almost 3 weeks ago. After the first couple days I felt great. Even well enough to go back to work & my motherly duties. Then about 2 weeks after, I began feeling the same way I did when I was diAgnosed with a defective GB. I had no stones. The pathology report was fine just that it was inflamed. I love to eat but am hoping after I retrain myself how to eat, things will be better. My bro-in-law had his out the same day and seems fine. Still think a call to my pcp is in order. I am 37, 150 + lbs, & relatively healthy except for ibs. Yeah, everyone told me I would feel better too. Hopefully this is temporary.
|