Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Recovering from spinal laminectomy

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
What difficulties should I look out for in my recovery from this surgery?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi...
i really dont know whether you have had the surgery yet but i will assume you have not and are considering it as a next step in your fight against pain...
number one is that research has shown that laminectomies might weaken the lamina too much and make the spine unstable. i've heard many surgeons are changing to the hemilaminectomy which does not remove as much of the lamina...
other considerations are pain from surgery and length of time for recovery. i must say for me the pain was not terrible and i was feeling strong in about 6 weeks...pete
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
I am 4 weeks post op for a spinal fusion L2-5 with laminectomy, also scoliosis repair. My pain is extremely high or low. My excellent surgeon has put internal stitches, steri strips on back, no staples or stitches on skin. Do not have a brace as it weakens the spine, also am aided in the bone healing with a belt worn to cover the spinal fusion area for half an hour every day, called a bone stimulator. Will need to wear this for 6-9 months. Today I am having difficulty in regaining strength, can't seem to walk much and definitely can't stand for more than 5 minutes. Seeing surgeon in a week so will know more then. Would like to advise anyone contemplating this surgery to use mirilax powder every day after surgery due to the heavy amount of pain medications leading to extreme constipation. One week exactly from surgery hosp. discharge, wound up back in ER with a 3 day stay due to a huge hemrhoid.(sp) It was EXTREMELY painful,even with morphine IV. I have had surgeries before, and natural childbirth for all 6 babies, but there is NO comparison for this kind of pain! So do take care with this potential problem. Also wanted to mention that physical therapy starts in 3-4 months. There is an excellent post on after care by two physical therapists that guide you in log roll for getting in and out of bed, getting in and out of car, off chair, etc. I looked up phys therapy after spine surgery. I'll post more as the weeks go by. Hope this helps....
|