Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Recovering from severe constipation

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I had severe lower abdominal/pelvic pain 2 weeks ago that I went to the ER for. They did an x-ray and said I was blocked up, so they gave me a suppository which helped a little, then we went home and did an enema which got rid of everything. But it has been 2 weeks now and I still have pain in my lower abdomen and pelvic area, but it is not bad -- just steady. It feels somewhat like it did leading up to my constipation. I have heard it takes a while for your body to heal after constipation -- like up to 6 weeks before things quit hurting. Does anybody know if this is true, what has been your experience, and do you know how long it will take till I am all better? Also does it make sense that pelvic pain (low pelvic pain, sometimes all the way down) could be related to the constipation? I am a 26-year-old female BTW.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2009
Supporter
hello and welcome. I had similar problem to you as i used to have abdominal and back pain as i suffered irritable bowel syndrome which my doctor said is stress related. I was constipated for 4 out of 7 days and then normal soft stools. Im from uk and was put on colifac and that reduced the spasms from my intestine. The other medical name was mebevarine. I changed to a good fibre diet and with the medication found in few weeks things settled down.
hope this has been some help to you as its a horrible condition. Fruit vegetables and whole grain was what i stuck too and prevents hemarroids caused by constipation as well as 6/8 glasses of water and this keeps stools softer.
|
Did you find this post helpful?