Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

recovering from Oxycontin

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
I am 20 years old , and I am recovering from an Oxycontin addiction.
I was taking around 80 mlg and more on a day to day basis for around a year. All together I have been taking them off and on for around 3 years.
I have recently told my family and my girlfriend about my addiction. It's going on my 3rd week now without touching any opiates or any sort of illegal drug now. I took Soboxone for about 4 days to help me through my withdrawl , and I was amazed how great they worked. I started off taking a half of an 8 mlg pill a day , then after the forth day I stopped all together and now only take them for maintence to keep on the right track. I also would like to know if when I take the Soboxone's if they make you high ? I feel like I am at times.. is it just in my head ? If any one could provide me with some addition information about them I would appreciate it alot. Also if there is ways to help fight against the addiction . Thank you for whatever help or advice you can give. God Bless !
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper iatricfantastic
|

replied April 19th, 2008
Well i know what your going through and its really really hard. people thats not an addict think getting off pills are the easiest thing in the world but actually its the hardest. I have been on pain pills for about 5 yrs and im waiting for a bed to open in detox then im going to a 30 day rehab. but u was wondering about saboxin..well i think if someone has enough will power that it really can help you. but i have actually done it b4 just to get high. but in your case thats a hell of alot better than oc's them are one of the hardest things ever to come off of. so if thats all your doing then i would give your self a pat on the back. because if u have it in your head u want to be clean and have enough will power than I think the saboxin will help you. I'm 20 yrs old and i've ruined my life so far and its time to start over, but i think u should be proud of your self u done something some people never do. you recovered. Good Luck
|

replied July 29th, 2011
to the 20 yr old ..go to a hospital have then admit to as an in patient..and let me tell a little abt me Im have legit medical con.to take oxycontin & oxycodone. Thr r so many days Ihate my life I feel like im sinking quike sand & i cant stop it."This meds r power full I wish I never had to take thm. I have really good doctors I have never taken one extra pill ths pills really scare me..I hope u do get help & never take a pill my 3 kids r alla adults &even wen they have surgery they so scare of meds beause they see me. That they deal w/pain but refuse to take any opiods...my life sucks I wish i haver had to take a pill ever..but Im stuck w/this life for ever. pls ur just 20yrs old talk to ur parents do wat ever u need to do stay away opiods............anna
|

replied July 29th, 2011
To micheal88 ........good help u bcause a few years ago Ibeg my pain magm. to take of dialudid ..Ihave really leegit medical condition to be on opiods..but i just needed a brake of the meds ..he put me on suboxone..let me let u getting of suboxone if ur taking it for more than 30 days the withdraw from suboxone r really nasty & painfull I did it cold turky bcause Ihave move to florida _BIG MISTAKE_ Thr wasnt one doctor in orl.fl thn care. I was force to move back to new jersey..& was put back on meds started w/oxycodone 15 slso oxycontin ..but thr r days thar I wish I could turn back time never touch opiods ..10 yrs is a long time .Im so sinking in quike sand ..I had pills..& let me tell Ihave good doctors..if I have any concern Ican talk to him or the nurce..Im stuck w/this life Ihave serious issues this mieans can change my life..Ihave to live this one..I hope u good luck ..just remember that suboxone is algo some kin odiod getting of it not going to b eazy bware...anna
|

replied April 29th, 2008
Suboxone
First off, congrats on getting off of Oxycontin. That can be really really hard! About the Suboxone--they are opiate blockers, which means they block receptors in your brain so that you don't feel the withdrawal effects from opiates. They shouldn't get you high, as they are not made of opiates. This is why doctors are now using Suboxone instead of methadone to help heroin/opiate addicts withdraw. Methadone gets you loaded, and once you have kicked heroin, you're usually addicted to methadone. So it sounds like you got through the worst physical part of sobriety okay, now you just have to get used to the lifestyle. Hopefully you can find some support, like through your family and friends, maybe a 12-step program like Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, or church if that's your thing. Anyway, congratulations again, and I hope you are able to stay away from those pills!
|

replied February 9th, 2011
Advice
I was on oxycontin for a long time. I used to do it with my wife, but she had an OD and stopped. I however, continued to use for a while. I did eventually stop. and stayed clean for quite a while. I lost my job in November and had a relapse on subutex for a few weeks. My wife caught me, we had a huge fight of course and I am now going to groups Monday and Thursday for a few weeks then once a week for relapse prevention.

However, this is causing a huge toll on my marriage. She has lost all of her trust in me and nothing I can do will change that. I know it takes time, but for a week she accused me of being high several times daily, and I wasn't doing anything. I took a drug test yesterday to prove to her that I am clean and passed it of course as I haven't been doing anything. I also took one Monday during my first group which I passed, but they won't share that with her due to privacy issues.

Has anyone else been through this? I want my wife and life back. I love her more than life itself. I hate that I did this to her so much, I beat myself up daily, but am doing EVERYTHING in my power to adjust my behaviour and have stayed clean since the day she caught me. So about a month now. The problem is, things keep coming along that make me look bad.

I had a friend I used to do pills with, and he came to my house when we were at work today, blew a pill using a glass we had at the house from when we used to use, and left it out. I came home and saw it, but assumed she took it out to throw it out or something. Obviously this didn't look good for me, but she knew it wasn't me as I just passed the test yesterday and wouldn't have left it out.

I got home today and she made me show her all of my bank withdrawls and write down everything that I spent money on, which were all legitimate purchases, but she almost kicked me out before I could even explain what the purchases were and that they were in fact legitimate.

My problem is that I torture myself. I sometimes look at OC sites, I looked at a headshop site and she checked the computer and saw all of that. I really screwed myself on that one. So really it's all my fault, I keep giving her reasons to suspect me, but I really am doing good and staying clean.

Has anyone gone through this and have advice besides the obvious: stop checking sites, etc?

I really just want my wife back and get my life back to normal. I am done doing anything from now on and ever again.

My other reason for posting here is I don't really have anyone else to talk to about it, so want to vent a bit or I feel like I am going to explode.

Thanks,
|

replied July 29th, 2011
TO MAGUI.........Let me tell u some thn Ihave yrs ago over 20 a boyfriend that use drugs my life w/him was hell Im going to give a good advice STAY AWAY fom past friends that r still using ..give our wife a brake i was thr the trust goes out the door..If u love her & really want to get better Ithnk wats best is u take a brake work on ur self ..date ur wife start all over go out w/her do things to help ur relationship w/her dont b around those friend ..if he left a pill one wat will b next time ..just let ur friends that for a few mo. ur going to b working on ur self & getting healthy again & that ur wife is not happy abt every thn ..that they r to stay away ....if u really love ur self & want ur wife to start once more trusting u show her u mean it ..ur just going to focus u & ur fam ...earn that trust ....Im ill im force to tame meds iIhad it but this is my live...& for that boyfriend I have for 7 yrs I HE PUT ME IN HELL I LEFT HIM ..HE DIED BCAUSE DRUGS 12 YSR AGO AT AGE 40 .... LOVE UR SELF LIVE LIFE ...ANNA
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
Best Advice
I have been sober for 6-months now from OxyContin. I can't believe the day has come that I am able to say that. After 3-years of using 80mg a day and loosing everything I had. I FINALLY made a decision to get HELP. Word to the wise, getting sober is an impossible task to do alone.. will power simply isn't enough. I attended Intensive Outpatient programs the first 3 months of my sobriety all while meeting weekly with NA and monthly with counselors and psychiatrists. I have already started to week off suboxone as I have been prescribed for a while now.. it truly has saved my life. Everything I literally lost I have regained and got back. My life made a completely 180 and I was SAVED. It's amazing to look back at what I thought would be an impossible journey getting clean. The continuous therapy and medications helped very much as I had dual diagnosis of depression/anxiety as well as Hypomania (form of BPD). My advice to you IF you wanna get clean ASAP and turn your life around... throw your hands up in the air and say you give up. You are powerless over drugs and you need help. Admits yourself to inpatient or outpatient practices. See counselors and psychiatrists so they can properly medicate you and get you on a stable and consistent sober plan. I AM TWICE THE MAN I WAS WHEM I USED.. All the things you do high?? Imagine what you can do when your sober.. it's absolutely eye opening how powerful you truly get when you are sober. Nobody can stop you once you get going its so motivating and inspiring. Good luck to you. I hope you decide to start saving your life sooner than later. God bless you. PSALM 23
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Follow up
Guess I found a pretty old forum that doesn't get viewed or updated anymore, my apologies for resurecting an old thread. I will attempt to find a new current forum to discuss.
|

replied March 4th, 2011
Recovering from oxycontin
I'm actually going through oxycontin recovery right now. Needless to say, it's been an experience. I really want to talk to others online and share my experience so I started a blog. I know this sounds kind of spam-ish but I would really enjoy finding people to talk to about what this feels like.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
I WILL LISTEN TO GO ADEAD ....................ANNA
|

replied April 28th, 2011
Oxycontin doesn't have to be a live long love affair!
I had been addicted to opiates for about 19 years. I started with Vicodin then Norcos and Lorcett. About 6 or 7 years ago I found a Subutex/Suboxone doctor who got me off the Norco with Subutex. I was fine at first. It actually really helped because I had no desire to take Norcos anymore. Every once in a while I would try to take the Norcos but couldn’t feel anything when I did because the Sub was blocking the Hydrocodone in the Norcs.

Problem was that I just became addicted to Subutex and had to take high doses every day to avoid withdrawal. I ended up with a different Subutex Dr. who told me that I should think of myself as a diabetic who needs to take Insulin every day to stay well. He said “you have the disease of addiction and you need to take Subutex every day to stay well.”

I bought it at first and stayed on Subutex for about 5 years! Always upping my daily dose just to feel “normal.” I was a slave to the Subutex and hated it but I was so panicked to even think about going off.

Then I needed a surgery and was referred to a pain management doctor who turned out to REALLY know his stuff. He told me that because I had been on such a high dose of Subutex for so long, my opiate receptors had down-regulated and I would need more than the “usual” dosages of various meds that they use to knock people out for surgery. What’s more, I would need much higher than normal doses of narcotic pain meds for my post surgical pain as well.

He took me off the Subutex and onto Oxycontin (80’s) a few days prior to the surgery (to prevent the blocking effect of the Subutex from getting in the way of the anesthesiologist’s efforts to put me to sleep for the surgery). I had the surgery and took the Oxys for pain after (a LOT of Oxys). I stayed on the Oxycontin (and Oxycodone for “break-through” pain) for about 4 months and then I had a choice to make:

It was time to either go back on the Subutex and probably for the rest of my life OR, detox and go off everything. I opted for detox. I was SO scared and I’m sure that many of you can relate. I had detoxed MANY times before on my own and always feel like I’m going to die (or wish I would) for about 2 weeks. I knew this one was going to be bad because I had been on Sub for 5 years and more recently, enough Oxy to kill a large elephant!

I decided not to try this on my own (never really worked before so why would it now). I started looking for rehab places that also did detox. Every one that I called wanted me to come in immediately and it really seemed like they were more interested in my money than my health and well-being! I got frustrated and discouraged and ended up staying on the Oxys for about another month.

I eventually found this free rehab referral organization. They have case workers who actually meet with you in person and really seem to care. They asked a bunch of questions about my problems and what I was looking for. Then they took me to check out a few different rehabs and we eventually found one that turned out to be a great fit for me and my family (I have a wife and 2 kids). My adviser (Eric) was a recovering addict himself and really understood what I was going through. I honestly couldn’t have done it without his help and a little pushing.

The reason I’m posting this is to let people know that long term opiate use doesn’t have to be a lifetime affair. Please don’t believe the hype about Subutex/Suboxone. It’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing and it’s making the pharmaceutical companies, their reps and the doctors who prescribe it for long term treatment VERY wealthy. I’ve been clean and sober for 7 months now and I’m doing great! I’m back to work, have no pain, go to meetings, have a sponsor and am on my 4th step. My life has gone through an amazing transformation and I honestly owe it all to this adviser place for holding my hand through a very difficult process for me. I paid him nothing and he has become a good friend. I’m very grateful.

Be well!
|

replied July 18th, 2011
Smoking Oxycontin
I had a very close family member use Oxycontin for a very long time. They smoked the Oxycontin though. It is a different method but has the same side effects. Here is the most comprehensive guide of the Oxycontin side effects on the Internet. http://sideeffectz.com/oxycontinsideeffect s/
|

replied July 20th, 2011
As you know this is an extremely tough situation. There is no magic solution I can offer- or even solid direction. Now if you told me she had a willingness to get off the drugs that would make all the difference in the world. Please always remember her willingness and desire to go through the process is essential. What can you do? Not much- sorry.
Theirs is no magic literature. She knows on one level how toxic the dope is- unless she's extremely ignorant. There is a great support group for folks in your predicament- Alanon- look up a local number on your search engine. Yes I'm sure theirs a lot of denial going on- but still. Your brother is in a terrible position. He needs to make the same decision you do;
- Are you going to love and support her and your brother and the kids or is it too much for you to handle? If it's too much -leave the situation.

Good luck to all of you,
obrain
|

replied March 27th, 2013
recovering off oxys
two weeks off oxys 2500mg per day, did a 5 day rapid detox. So far so good
except I have to force myself to walk, my legs are gone...how long and whats helps
|

replied July 21st, 2014
I am now in my 2nd week of recovery from a 12 month Oxycontin addiction for medication prescribed for a back injury. As you all probably know, the first 3 - 4 days are the worst physically - and I kept telling myself I had the flu, just to get me through. If I could give anyone advice, I would say, get yourself a good Dr, be honest with him/her, and get some ongoing counselling. Once you are over the physical symptoms, then the hard work really starts. I realized how my mind had altered in many ways, how I'd gradually tried to decieve myself, and how the medication had permeated my whole life. I then made a conscious effort to 're-wire' my brain, changing my routine of living, even to the way I got ready for work in the morning, so that I would not allow my brain/mind to 'trick' me into all of the associations I had with taking the oxy. I eve threw out a handbag that I associated with keeping the oxy in one of the zip compartments, and bought a new bag. Please hang in there...read as much as you can about healing your mind, make sure you get plenty of quality quiet time if you can - I slept and relaxed in the spare room of our house rather than my own bed (having restless leg syndrome for the first week was the initial reason), but I found the spare room my own little 'space' to just 'be'. I had my very first massage one week into the withdrawals, and the RLS miraculously dissapeared. Keep telling yourself that once you've conquered this, you will never want to go through this again - keep the memory of this period firmly in your mind, to remind yourself that if you do go back to using, you will only have to go through this again - and it get's harder and harder to do with prolonged use. Try not to blame Dr's or feel that there must be some 'flaw' in your character that led to your addiction - it's a powerful drug, and until you're ready to go through this hell, you will lie to yourself and others in order to get it. Please hang in there...every day you will get stronger and stronger. xx
|

replied July 23rd, 2014
You could try some kratom for that aims. It works as agonist and fully natural and legal in US. You can purchase it online in an ease, eg at kratomunderground.com
|

replied August 18th, 2014
Set goals, Pay it forward .
|