Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Recovering alcoholic married to an alcoholic

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
Dont know why i have decided to post on here,but im in a dark place in my marriage.I have been sober for 20 months.My husband has had a drinking problem all of his adult life,but refuses to get help.I quit because i became ill and at times im thankful i got sick,but to this day the doctors cant figure out what is wrong.My husband is also addicted to gambling.Just recently,instead of paying our power bill he went drinking and gambling.I had to pawn my wedding rings to put money in our account to cover the check and for some reason he just sold his ring,not to put food on the table or pay a bill,but he went out drinking.I am blaming myself,thinking he must not be happy with me.I know our finaicail problems have put a big wedge between us,but he keeps making it worse..Im not perfect at all,but im not putting us in the situations that he keeps putting us in..If anyone has any ideas on what i can or should do,i would be thankful for the advice.Please excuse my spelling..lol
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2011
Experienced User
My wife and I are both recovering Alcoholics. Try going to a 12 step help program, such as AA. You can also try Alynon. Lots of people there who share the same problems as you and can help you cope with it and get into the solution.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank pokealoke for this post: tannerray