Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Reconstructing MRI/CT scan results (Page 1)

User Profile
It took me a while, but I finally found a program that can be used to
further analyze the data from the CT/MRI disk. The radiologist should give you a CD - a disk, after the scan is done, just ask them, and tell them that you can wait. In my case, all of the times, it did not cost anything.

The CD disk that you will get WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT, SO MAKE A COPY, AND GIVE ONE TO YOUR DOCTOR.

The information in the disk be used to reconstruct the image, if that was not done, and also do some other things.

That way you don't have to deal with radiologists who will ignore the requests for reconstruction or simple request such as, "Please print slice number 00045".
One radiologist told me that cannot be done. Yes it can be done. And you can save the image, especially IF THE JOINT IS DISLOCATED, HAS A CYST, or something else of concern. Then you can discuss it with your doctor, or if you really like university libraries, go there and look up radiology books and compare your images with those in the books Smile

Having an image printed, something in your hand helps ALOT, some doctors might think you are hypochondriac, but they must get over that, as it is your life, and he has the responsibility to look at whatever data your present to him.

He can analyze and explain to you what is what, if he cannot, find someone else. I've seen doctors who pretend to know how to interpret MRI/CT scans but they really just know the basics, if they see a huge spot in the brain, then they will call someone and do something about it... Otherwise, like Eagle's syndrome - I bet that most of the doctors would not know how the skull looks like with Eagle's and without Eagle's syndrome.

Example:

courtesy of TMJ Disorders
A Report of Post-Traumatic Eagle's Syndrome
A. Klecha, H. Hafian, B. Devauchelle, B. Lefevre
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg

This is not a good quality image, but it's simple - you can see your upper spine, (neck bones) and then the jaw, below the jaw, you see a small white line, a bone, that is a calcified ligament.

Here is mine:

The highlighted areas are of the joint itself, and then the calcified ligament known as styloid process.

Wikipedia has the image:

I guess it is not as that big, yet, most people do not have calcification of this ligament. Inflammation, I would argue, was the factor in causing the calcification process.

I just uploaded it to the free website called tinypic.com and copied the image's location by right clicking. Then you can go here and add the image by using "[img]...location of the image... "[/img]" remove the quote and do not leave any spaces in between..

So feel free to use this program, be patient, LEARN, and if you have better programs please share, because unless the doctor calls the radiologist office - you or stuck thinking - do I have the correct information?

Most hospitals will not care to analyze the CT/MRI one more time.
BUT YOU, BY LAW, HAVE A RIGHT TO YOUR DATA. And having data, you can see private radiologist, be sure he is specialized in TMJ, and then have 2nd opinion.

In US, they are obligated by HIPAA, which is enforced by Office of Health and Humman Services, to provide you with your medical record, which includes data from CT, MRIs, etc. Usually there is an office of medical records, you go there, fill out the forms, and come back in few days and they have your CD of MRI/CT, plus the radiologist report or any other records (you might have to pay a fee for that).
University of Illinois medical records section charged me 40 plus dollars, but often it's free, especially if it is just one page radiologist report.

In my case, hey had to print 50 + pages of records, same pages were just useless, some included radiologist report(s), and even amendments, because they misinterpreted the MRI, and the oral surgeon had to call the radiologist, then finally, the real radiologist, not the student radiologist, reviewed the results and added some extra information. THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT. so get the radiologist report, copy it here if you feel like it, so people can compare and help each other.

Thanks to this guy from UK, this program is free.
I would first suggest to copy all CD to computer by clicking copy in the CD, then paste to new folder.
This way, the program works quicker.

Basically, you run the program, then
You go to File,
click on Open,
then on the bottom where it says file type click and choice "All files"
open the folder that has the CT/MRI data,
click on one of the files in the folder, (you might have to do some searching, and pick the folder that has most files)
the file will probably have the name like 0001, 0002, so look through all the folders for these type of files,
and click on it,

then it will ask you if you like to scan for similar files to include in the reconstruction,
click yes,
and then again click OK.

The image will appear on the screen, click on it and while holding move the image, it will start to rotate.
To create the 3D image:

click on Edit,
then choice generate iso-surface
and the window with image will pop up,
be sure to click on the spot that is GRAY, not black, not white, gray ONLY THEN click process.

The program might crash, so I would recommend to close all other programs when doing this. If the program stops working, just close it and repeat. It is not perfect, but if anyone has any better programs I would ask them to share.

You will see 3D image of your skull, leg or whatever CT scan was scanning. If you click on the image and drag it, it will move around so you can look the image from all directions. Be patient, and be sure to always choice all files when picking the folder and trying to find your data slices (pics) from the CT scan.

To save or print the image - click PRnt SCrn button in your PC, it's next to F12 key, then go to windows paint program and paste, the save it as JPEG (uses less memory).

Usually, if you have a disk with MRI/CT data, it will run an automatic program after you put in in the computer. But if they did not reconstruct the image, or did a bad job on it, then you are stuck, because the pre-installed programs on the MRI/CT CDs are very simple and just allow you to view images - one by one. That's it, maybe zoom in, view 4 images at the same time... etc.

But it's better to know what you are looking at, and unless those images are put back together, it's like your have a loaf of bread, sliced pieces, and what can you do what that? Just see what's inside, but not outside, and the shape of the joint, the outside, is important. So putting these slices together by a process called reconstruction you can see the whole outsige imagine, just like a loaf of bread sliced into many pieces - if you put it together (reconstruct) you can see what shape the whole thing has, etc.

The link to where you can download this free program:

http://www2.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~rjal/3DView.htm

BTW, i am not affiliated with this program in any way, and not attmepting to promote it, it's free after all. It's been free for at least 2 years, and I hope it stays free, if not, download it now.

Good luck,

Ed
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile edgaras
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2009
Supporter
Does anybody even have their CD for MRI/CT scan;
does anybody even been prescribed an MRI to see
what's going on with the joint and the disc?

I'm surprised by lack of responses.
|

replied July 18th, 2012
Hi Edgaras,

Thank you so much for putting this information online. I was a little bit intimidated by the idea of figuring this all out, but your instructions were very helpful. I think I will be able to make a much stronger case for surgery thanks to the 3D CT you helped me make.

I tried to post some images to show you, but we'll see if they go through. I am a new member, so I think it requires some review time.

Anyway, thanks again! I am so glad I found your post.
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2009
Supporter
anybody?>
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
Hey--I have not been seen in a long while and CD's were not done then nor a MRI by the dentist but-I do have a MRI from the neck and head..I love digging for info. so I want to see all that you have..Impressive info above.

I went to the site and now have it saved to desktop..Can't wait until I have time later this evening to dig into this..

thank you..
kd
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
thank you kdlee, at least one person does feel like being struck by a truck with all the above info lol Smile

Thank you again.
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
That's btw nothing if you check my post called cyst in the condyle...

That I can understand - people see that and are like, uhm, my brain just froze.

I encourage you to check your MRI of the head, it will definitively have a slide or two which will show your joints. If you need help, just send me a message.

Ed
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2009
Supporter
Ed-I sent you a post onthe other thread..I want you to know I am interested in talking with you but I can't deal with too much self pain..

I read tremendous amounts of medical information mostly because I have a burning need to understand..I have files and drawers filled with information..

I plan on put my latest MRI up on the computer with the info. you have provided..If you are still open to help let me know-otherwise I will understand that our temperments has gotten the better of the situation..
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2009
Supporter
don't worry, i am not a bit upset if there is any temperament in any of your post, as it's understandable that it is hard at times and people often go here to talk about their situations, which include acceptance - , denial, fear, depression, anger, acceptance. It's all hidden under the words but it is there in all of us.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Supporter
Thanks hon..

ANd if you are up for helpI have downloaded the MRI 3d but i got sruck:where it says-then it wil sk you if you like to scan for similar files to inclue in the reconstruction--it doesn't ask me this..there is nothing..The images but that is the only thing that comes up and no words..any ideas?
|

User Profile
replied July 28th, 2009
Supporter
it might not ask to scan for similar files if you pick a folder with a single file in it, so it is better to choice a folder that has most of the files, then it will ask that question if you follow the instructions which I am sure are accurate. I will double check.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2009
Supporter
btw, I just noticed, the site that offers download offers intensive explanation of the program in their PDF file on the same page. I made a summary, however, so people do not have to read 30 or so pages just to reconstruct there MRI/CT.
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2009
Supporter
has anyone else tried this program?
Maybe I am just few of the lucky ones to have MRI.
I know it is more difficult to get it in Canada and UK, maybe someone can comment on that who have personal experience...
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2009
Supporter
come on people we need some pictures so that our community can share and analyze, as the doctors (most of them) go home and don't even think twice about the MRI itself.
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2009
Supporter
just use windows paint program to paste after hitting prnt scrn button. you can erase any personal info using this ages old program.
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2009
Supporter
I wonder how many people had MRI's of there TMJs? I assume it is a very small ammount of population that experience severe enough symptoms for doctors to take more aggressive action such as prescribing an MRI?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2009
Experienced User
3D CT reconstruction
Today I reconstructed an CT scan to 3D with the program above. It works great!

And as far as I can tell it shows clear signs of Eagle's Syndrome. Unfortunately I cannot post screenshots here directly, otherwise I would.

Edgaras, thank you for this great topic!
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Wow edgaras...

Thanks you for your post.

I too was diagnosed with Eagle's Syndrome... even though all of the test I have had have come back normal. (Or maybe they didn't bother looking for it.) I finally have a wonderful ENT who has diagnosed me correctly, but he feels that I should have the surgery done at UCLA with the doctors who have actually written papers about the condition and have done the surgery many times. Ironically, I had gone to the Doctors at UCLA previously and they didn't even mention Eagle's Syndrome as a possible explanation for my symptoms. My current ENT suggested I request a CD of all the tests that I had done, so I did. And I have been examining the results very carefully. I have also compared them to other Eagle's Syndrome patients that I have found on the internet. For the last few days I have been attempting to
make reconstruction 3D images of what I have found. The CD's I received from UCLA actually already have a program included which has allowed me to construct the 3D images without the need for any other program. I have been playing around with the images for about a week now. I feel like I should become a Radiologist! LOL. Oh, and yes, I was able to confirm that I do indeed have Eagle's Syndrome. I will be seeing my ENT in a couple of weeks and I will bring him a CD of my findings. I know he will be thrilled to see some actual pictures. I wish he would do my surgery. He is such a wonderful doctor... he was the first one to actually listen to me. I actually admire him for not wanting to do a surgery on me that he has never done before. If my doctor is impressed by the images I will send a copy to the doctors at UCLA and if they finally agree with the diagnoses I may end up getting my surgery done there.

Thanks again for your post. It is so nice to know that I am not alone.

clicky
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2009
Experienced User
A few images reconstructed from a regular CT-scan with the above mentioned software, it works great!

In 3D the styloids are quite visible, whereas in 2D it looks something like this:

Edgaras, thank you for recommending this and making an abstract of the manual etc., it has really helped me a great deal.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
Weebo,

I too have been using this software. I will post some photos as well. Again, Thanks Edgaras. I will be bringing these photos with me to my next doctors appointment with my ENT.

Clicky

|

replied January 4th, 2010
i am jealous of ya. wish this was available back in the days.
|
12 >>