Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Reclipsen vs. Apri Tabs (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I have a quick question. I was on the Apri Tab back at the end of 2009 for about 6 months and lost about 30 pounds and believe it was the pill helping me lose the weight since it was the only thing that was different. So, now I am in a different state and when I was prescribed Desogen I was again given the generic, but this time I was given Reclipsen. Does anyone else have any experience with losing weight like this with these pills? I know the active ingredients are the same in both pills, but the inactive ingredients are not. I am just wondering if it is the active ingredients helping me lose weight or the inactive? I do know that when I am on other types (for example: Lo-Ovaral) I do not lose weight but tend to maintain or gain. What do you girls think?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper darcy2012
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
I myself am trying to find out the difference with the pills. I know there is one, because my body responds differently. I prefer Apri over Reclipsen. When on Reclipsen I have been experiencing severe hot flashes. So overwhelming that I feel like I am going to pass out. I switched pharmacies and went back to Apri and I haven't had them for two months. I would like to know the difference in the ingredients.
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
I've had some issues with Reclipsen. I was on Apri for over a year and it was great. Then my pharmacy stopped carrying it and switched me to Reclipsen. I also feel like I get these intense hot flashes (and I'm only 20!) While on Apri, I lost 15 pounds over 6 months, but when I was switched to Reclipsen, I suddenly gained 7 pounds in two months! No change in diet or work out routines!! I've always suffered from migraines, but once I started Reclipsen, they've gotten so much worse and more frequent. I also feel much more tired and always seem to want to be eating, even if I'm not hungry. I never had any of these issues with Apri. I plan to switch pharmacies, hoping to be able to get back on Apri. Not a fan of Reclipsen!
|

replied June 19th, 2011
Apr v Reclipsen
I was taking Apri for about a year and doing great. Switched pharmacies and they substituted Reclipsen. I have been taking Reclipsen for 2 months and gained 5 pounds. I have been experiencing severe fatigue, head aches, feeling dehydrated and extreme mood swings. Feels like I have severe pms all month long. I can't believe the difference!! I had no idea it was the pill that I was taking causing all these changes!! But it all fits. Glad to see i'm not the only one!
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Reclipsen side effects feel like worst hangover I've ever had
I'm having the exact same issue, except that I could only take Reclipsen for three days because the side effects were so terrible. Extreme nausea, extreme fatigue, headaches, and dehydration. I was on Apri for years and never had one side effect. And now I'm going through so much hassle with my insurance company and the pharmacists because I want to get Apri, and they all say "but you just filled that prescription four days ago". AAHARAGH! If they're made by different manufacturers, then they've got different inactive ingredients, one or several of which is really screwing with me. Good to come here and learn that I'm not the only one!
|

replied September 26th, 2011
Reclipsen vs. Apri
Wow, when I read the first comment I thought.. did I write this? Reason is that I experienced the same thing around the same time. i just thought Apri was no longer available, I didn't know it was depending on what pharmacy I went to. And I just bought this month's pack... next month I'm on the hunt for Apri.
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Reclipsen fan
Im the opposite ive been on reclipsen for a couple of years now with no bad side effects no weight gain i think even weight loss when i first started it but i just switched pharmacys today and was given apri and now i am worried that i will have new side effects with this one, have any of you had bad side effects with apri?
|

replied January 25th, 2012
I have been on reclipsen for about a year and and changed pharmacys and was given apri. This is my second week of my second pack and I am noticing vaginal dryness and will be switching back asap. Walmart carries it for the least expensive (Walgreens a little bit higher priced) and Rite Aid and CVS carry apri.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
I did not experience any weight change with either pill, but I have noticed a difference in side effects. I was on Apri for a little over a year and it was great. I was prescribed Desogen originally to help get rid of acne caused by a different birth control. The pharmacy gave me the generic Apri. I had no bad side effects, whatsoever and it cleared up my acne beautifully. About 8 months ago I moved and was given Reclipsen instead of Apri at my new pharmacy. Pack one, I immediately experienced serious vaginal dryness and now my husband and I always have to use lube(which we both don't like). A few months down the road, I started having the hot flashes others mentioned--they hit randomly. I am also irrationally moody, either crying at small things or really angry for no reason. Recently, I started having pains in my left calf which I had to get an ultrasound for to make sure it wasn't a blood clot. (Scary)
Luckily, they did not find a clot. But I never had any problems like these when I was taking Apri. This was my last month on Reclipsen, though. I am switching back to Apri and sticking to it. I am very surprised to learn that non-active ingredients can make such a difference!
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2012
what the heckk!
uggh i read this and now i am even more pissed! i've been on apri for almost TWO YEARS! worked great no side affects and always helped me out..well today the pharmacy gave me this Reclipsen crap! reading all of this is making really mad! i didnt ask to change birth controls they just did it on me! now i'm scared to take these pills! ):
|

replied August 20th, 2012
I just called to have my Apri re-filled and now I have Reclipsen. After reading all these I'm not sure I'm going to be a happy camper this month. Guess I'll be looking around at other pharmacies for my Apri. Why do they keep pulling Apri? I've been on it for years...am I going to find out in 5 years it's made me infertile!
|

replied September 17th, 2012
Apri vs Reclipsen
2 days on the Reclipsen after being on Apri for 4 years & I feel like my skin is crawling. Cramping, headache & out of sorts. This is an awful way to go about .. I am generally a easy going person but on this pill its like PMS Roid Rage. Hope my body gets used it. The constant cotton mouth & munchies has to go.. I could see if I smoked dope I'd deserve these side effects but I don't.. everyone that now has cheaper or free birth control will now have to deal with the change due to Obamacare. I appreciate the lower cost but don't change things because its cheaper for the insurance company.. its only going to cost more in the long run with more doctors visits & prescriptions to correct the side effects.
looking doctor
|

replied October 4th, 2012
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm currently on reclipsen for my acne. But how long does it take before I notice results? Has anyone ever had bad acne while on the IUD Paraguard?
|

replied October 5th, 2012
Reclipsen vs. Apri
I was on Reclipsen for 3 months, switched pharmacies and now I have Apri. I am 29 and have a 10 month old baby. My acne from the pregnancy cleared quite quickly but all of the sudden I started getting monster pimples on my chin and around my hairline. They never come to a head but become large and painful lumps. The week I have my period I don't take the inactive pills and my face always clears up (opposite of most women on their period). I did have headaches, hot flashes and extreme munchies. I noticed my weightloss slowed down dramatically. I go to the gym 4x a week, eat healthy, and had lost about 20 lbs in 4 months with diet and exercise. After 3 months on Reclipsen my weight loss slowed down to only 4 lbs in 3 months and I have a very, very difficult time controlling my cravings. Moody is not the word, Reclipsen Rage. LOL. I took my first Apri today and hope to see an improvement. I will definitely bookmark this forum and check back in to let everyone know how it's going.

To the one with the IUD Paraguard: No, I did not notice acne but definitely had different periods. I've always had heavy periods but it almost seemed like a balloon popping when I would start. There was no gradual beginning and end. A couple times I thought I was finished and went protection free only to be surprised by a gush. Also, by month 5 I had this terrible fishy smell and was treated for Bacterial Vaginosis. I had NEVER, EVER experienced anything so disgusting with my own body and couldn't believe it was coming from me. It never fully went away and I was treated again. By month 8 I couldn't take it anymore! I felt like I wanted to claw through my skin and scratch my uterus. My husband could feel the "guitar string" poking him and the smell while having sex was a total turn off for me. I felt so disgustingly dirty I had it removed. Within a week my body was back to normal and I have never had the problem again. On a positive note, I did not have migraines, crazy mood swings, weight gain, acne, dry mouth, vaginal dryness, or obnoxious food cravings. I hope your experience with it is much better than mine was because overall I love the concept of never having to worry about hormones added to my body or taking a pill every day.

We have twin 8 year old boys and a 10 month old baby girl. I think vascectomy is the way to go for us. Will cost less in the long run (monthly birth control @ $15 a month vs. insurance covered vascectomy with a small co-pay) and there will be no having to remember anything or crazy side effects.
|

replied October 5th, 2012
Reclipsen vs. Apri
I was on Reclipsen for 3 months, switched pharmacies and now I have Apri. I am 29 and have a 10 month old baby. My acne from the pregnancy cleared quite quickly but all of the sudden I started getting monster pimples on my chin and around my hairline. They never come to a head but become large and painful lumps. The week I have my period I don't take the inactive pills and my face always clears up (opposite of most women on their period). I did have headaches, hot flashes and extreme munchies. I noticed my weightloss slowed down dramatically. I go to the gym 4x a week, eat healthy, and had lost about 20 lbs in 4 months with diet and exercise. After 3 months on Reclipsen my weight loss slowed down to only 4 lbs in 3 months and I have a very, very difficult time controlling my cravings. Moody is not the word, Reclipsen Rage. LOL. I took my first Apri today and hope to see an improvement. I will definitely bookmark this forum and check back in to let everyone know how it's going.

To the one with the IUD Paraguard: No, I did not notice acne but definitely had different periods. I've always had heavy periods but it almost seemed like a balloon popping when I would start. There was no gradual beginning and end. A couple times I thought I was finished and went protection free only to be surprised by a gush. Also, by month 5 I had this terrible fishy smell and was treated for Bacterial Vaginosis. I had NEVER, EVER experienced anything so disgusting with my own body and couldn't believe it was coming from me. It never fully went away and I was treated again. By month 8 I couldn't take it anymore! I felt like I wanted to claw through my skin and scratch my uterus. My husband could feel the "guitar string" poking him and the smell while having sex was a total turn off for me. I felt so disgustingly dirty I had it removed. Within a week my body was back to normal and I have never had the problem again. On a positive note, I did not have migraines, crazy mood swings, weight gain, acne, dry mouth, vaginal dryness, or obnoxious food cravings. I hope your experience with it is much better than mine was because overall I love the concept of never having to worry about hormones added to my body or taking a pill every day.

We have twin 8 year old boys and a 10 month old baby girl. I think vascectomy is the way to go for us. Will cost less in the long run (monthly birth control @ $15 a month vs. insurance covered vascectomy with a small co-pay) and there will be no having to remember anything or crazy side effects.
|

replied October 7th, 2012
I was on Reclipsen for 5 months. A year and a half ago I went into the Emergency Room for a CT scan after having severe migraines for a little more than a day. I was diagnosed with extensive deep vein thrombosis in my brain and after months of testing it was determined that the pills were the cause, no genetic mutation was found. I was on anticoagulants for six months, the clots slowly went away and now I'm fine. Screw Reclipsen.
|

replied October 26th, 2012
Bi lateral Pulmonry Embolism
I was put on reclipson 5 months before I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolism (blood clots in both lungs) the number three silent killer. Very scary & I'm now on blood thinners all because of reclipson so be very careful!!
|

replied October 30th, 2012
Apri Vs. Reclipsen
I was on Apri for over a year, then when I moved on campus, the new pharmacy gave me Reclipsen. I'm not a huge fan of change, and especially not change here. Since taking Reclipsen, I've had the scariest mood swings of my life. I feel so bad for my boyfriend for being angry at him, then crying about it, then crying about crying, then laughing at the fact I was crying. It was just a mess. Then on top of that, my period is much more annoying and crampy. I am not happy with Reclipsen at all, and am switching back to Apri on Sunday. Thank goodness.
|

replied January 28th, 2013
Reclipsen has been awful!
Just found this and am so happy Im not the only one with these symptoms! I have been on Reclipsen for 3 months now. The first month I took it, my stomach hurt so bad only about 10 minutes after taking the pill. I would feel like I was going to puke, thankfully didnt't, but read that this was normal so continued to take them. Don't even get me started on how moody they make me! I used to be so happy and outgoing and now I'm depressed all the time and get incredibly angry at little things. I have such a temper now and anything can set me off. I cry all the time, too. I have been a steady weight for a good 2-3 years and have gained almost 10 pounds since being on Reclipsen. I feel the need to eat all the time, even if I just had a big meal. Whenever I get my period, it's extremely heavy, not like before the pill. I've experienced a dry vaginal area as well. For the past 5 years I've maybe broken out bad 3 times. With Reclipsen, my acne has been horrible. During my period, it clears up, but then for the remainder of the time it's ridiculous! Huge patches of little pimples all over my face. For $20 a month, this kind of makes me p.o.ed. I'm only on the pill to regulate and this is the first one I've tried, so to hear that all this is because of Reclipsen makes me very upset. I will be throwing the rest of my pack away!
|

replied February 26th, 2013
So glad it wasn't just me!!!
I am so glad I came across this!!! Like many of you said...I thought it was just me. I had been on Apri for years and then switched to Reclipsen three months ago. I have had so many side affects, it is crazy. I thought it was just me and never thought it could be this pill. On my last period I felt more like myself and I realized it was because I hadn't taken my pill that week. All of my side affects: a migraine (which I hadn't had one since I was 16), weight gain, hair loss and growth...all in the wrong places, EXTREME moodiness, depression, crazy bad acne, nausea, hungry all the time, headaches everyday, and breast lumps. After reading these posts, I am calling my doctor today to switch back to Apri. Thanks to whoever started this thread! At least now I can tell my husband and my daughter that I am not really crazy! Smile
|

replied March 12th, 2013
Hair loss with Reclipsen?
Beyond SBCoey, has anyone ever experienced hair loss with Reclipsen? My dermatologist just suggested that my issues with hair loss might be related to birth control, or might not be, so wondered about others' experiences. I just stopped taking birth control entirely to see what happens. I used to be on Apri.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply