Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

really sharp pain in my chest breast bone area?

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
User Profile
hi i have recently had really sharp pain in my chest breast bone area which is really uncofortable and then a little pain goes to the left side towards my shoulder and suffered pins and needles in my hands and arms can you help plz

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A26408
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Having a left sided chest pain, that is radiating to the left arm is almost always considered to be due to ‎cardiac issues. Hence proper evaluation is necessary.
‎
But a few factors that can increase the risk of having cardiac chest pain include: smoking, stress, ‎obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.
‎
In your case , it is necessary to do a few tests which include ‎the following:-
‎
‎1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
‎2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
‎
In case the above tests indicate any abnormality, further tests need to be done which include:-
‎
‎1. Echocardiography
‎2. Tread mill test
‎3. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)
‎
The other possibilities that can present as chest pain include respiratory causes, gastrointestinal and ‎musculoskeletal.
‎
The pain also could be due to musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain ‎‎increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to ‎‎medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎
‎
Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on deep breaths and is associated with symptoms ‎‎like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.
‎
GERD: This is a common condition that can cause people to worry that they have heart conditions. But ‎this condition usually subsides ‎after taking Antacids or proton pump inhibitors , like Omeprazole, or H2 ‎blockers like Ranitidine.
‎
It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and above mentioned ‎investigations.
‎
Hence, it would be very essential to consult a doctor you trust, for a complete examination and proper ‎treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.