Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

really severe hunger pangs, just painful upon waking.

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I've recently, over the past two days, had severe abdominal pains after waking.

The first pains occurred after a night of overeating. Pepto bismol relieved the pain temporarily, but it was only after getting out of bed and walking around, that the pain went away.

I also felt a little bloated, yet still hungry, with slight hunger pangs throughout the day.

This morning the pain was a little higher, and sharper, but faded more rapdily, just below and to the sides of my sternum. It felt like really severe hunger pangs, just painful. Consuming food caused this pain to vanish temporarily. Again, after rising and walking around, the pain vanished.

I still feel a little discomfort abdominally on occassion, but no pain.

I don't usually eat a lot of food, eating only when hungry, so my meals are not at set times. I feel like I have to eat something regularly now.

I also lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A19474
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you may be having Reflux disorder, gastritis or peptic ulcer disease.

Heavy partying and episodes of Binge eating can cause severe gastrointestinal distress due to increased acid secretion.

Healthy eating habits and regular intake of healthy nourishing food is important. Avoiding junk food and sugar containing drinks like sodas, and being responsible when drinking alcohol is very important to prevent recurrence of such episodes in the future.

Regular physical exercise and an active lifestyle is also helpful.

Your pain and discomfort may respond to antacids (Tums, mylanta, etc) and acid reducing medications (Prilosec, Protonix, etc). In addition activated charcoal tablets can help to reduce your bloating.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.