Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Reactive enlarged lymph nodes

Found a lump in neck 11/2009. CT scan verified enlarged lymph nodes 01/2010. Dr. suspected/suspects reactive. two Ultra-sounds later showed further enlargement. Dr. feels may still be reactive. How long can you have enlarged nodes that are simply "reactive". I have had other symptoms and should I get a second opinion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2010
Enlarged lymph nodes as a results of a "reaction" to infection can last several months (and in the case of some types of chronic infections, lymph nodes can remain enlarged indefinitely).

If you have painless enlarging lymph nodes that persist for more than about 6 weeks, then I think that biopsy should be considered to rule-out lymphoma or other malignant diseases of the lymph nodes.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lymphoma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.