Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Reaction to Synvisc One (Page 1)

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
On Wednesday,12/9/09, I had my first Synvisc One injection in left knee.....the sixth injection (series of injections - 6 mos. apart) over a period of three years. All prior injections had produced very satisfying results. By Sunday, 12/13, I needed a walker to get around due to extreme knee pain. On Monday, 12/14, a significant amount of cloudy fluid was aspirated from the knee. Indocin was prescribed for the inflammation...discontinued after a week due to severe side effects. Limited amounts of Ibuprofen have been taken daily (stomach doesn't like it), heat/ice have been applied, and I have done virtually nothing. I should mention that I fell on 12/15 and broke right radius at wrist.

Any amount of moving around increases knee/leg swelling and pain. It is now Sunday, 12/27 and my ortho doc's office is closed until 1/4/10. Can anyone tell me if the length of time the pain has continued is normal/abnormal or give any other ideas of how to handle things until doc's office reopens? Thanks a million.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Dalia2477
|

replied January 25th, 2010
My knee hurt for about a month after synvisc injections. I too, had to start using a walker. I felt like my leg was on fire. It is better now after 2 months.
|

replied June 12th, 2013
My sister had the same thing and it was of know use, then she underwent SPMF therapy which is non-invasive and painless as it regenerates cartilage. She is doing great now.
http://www.sbfhealthcare.com/images/publis hed/19.pdf
|

replied May 5th, 2014
Would you please give me an update on if you've recovered from the side effects now? Did you receive any treatment or was it a matter of time? My mother took the third synvisc injection in July 2013 and is still suffering from swelling and hives and walks with a cane now.

I look forward to hearing from you.
|

replied June 1st, 2014
Being 35, and needing replacements in both knees, Synvisc-One was/is my last resort.
After receiving my first injection last week, I can honestly say, I'd rather walk around with the pain I had without the injection. The pain is intense.
I am hoping to get it drained. It's day 5 and I have felt no relief at all from the side effects. I wish I had seen the reviews before I agreed to doing this.
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Synvisc injection and terrible side effects
I had a knee injury in January and finally got a Synvisc injection in April. The day after my injection, it was 10 times more painful. Shooting pains every time I moved my leg, swelled up, and had fluid on my kneee. What a mistake that was. Not going for the other two injectios. Anyone know how long it takes to get over the side effects?
|

replied May 15th, 2013
I had a synvixc1 shot 4 weeks ago after 2 weeks my back of my knee was very painful ans swollen my calf pain was really really bad now 2 weeks later my thigh is very swollen and painful and I cannot bend my knee I called my dr he said it is not from the shot I am allergic to birds and feathers and someone told me the shot is made from the crown of a bird I don't know what to do the pain is unbearable and getting worse everyday thanks
|

replied May 15th, 2013
I had a synvixc1 shot 4 weeks ago after 2 weeks my back of my knee was very painful ans swollen my calf pain was really really bad now 2 weeks later my thigh is very swollen and painful and I cannot bend my knee I called my dr he said it is not from the shot I am allergic to birds and feathers and someone told me the shot is made from the crown of a bird I don't know what to do the pain is unbearable and getting worse everyday thanks
|

replied June 27th, 2010
Wow, it sounds like my case entirely..I had my first injection 3 wks ago and the knee pain was 10Xs worse than before..Had a weird lump on my kneecap and it was warm almost hot to the touch but not red..Went to my dr. a week later and he said I wouldn't see any relief until the 2nd of 3rd shot..The first shot didn't hurt at all the second I went through the roof and became really lightheaded..The pain was a bit better but my knee swelled big time during that week and the knee was still warm to the touch..Got my 3rd and last shot Weds. and really little improvement, I can walk maybe a 1/4 mile now was a jogger and used to walk 2 miles a day..Its very painful in this muggy, hot weather and the worst pain is in bed at night..So I don't think it really was worth it..It looks like TKR is in order..Had one on my other knee 7 yrs ago and it was a nightmare..I don't have much of a choice..
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Synvisc One Reaction
Major knee injury and surggery 30 years ago. Constant moderate but liveable pain since. I have tolerated the series of 3 Synvisc injections well, 5 times, and they have helped greatly. Three weeks ago I had my first SynviscOne injection. I woke up SCREAMING IN PAIN at 3am. Literally screaming for 2 days, huge swelling in knee, hot to the touch. Dr office said ice, elevate, ibuprophen and rest. Hello??? I HAD A LIFE!! I was on crutches for 10 days. 3 weeks out, I am still walking with a cane and can only walk 30 or 40 feet before the pain gets so bad i have to sit. Can not sleep at night due to intense pain. I am wondering if this dramatically increased disability will last forever, but can get no straight info. My doctor office did not warn of the possibility of such a violent reaction and is unwilling to do anything about it. I was told that such reactions can happen in up to 1% of patients and are most often in knees with little or no joint space, and major arthritic changes. Use at your own risk!! And may God help you if you do have such a reaction, because the doctors and the company won't!!!
|
Users who thank bshurkksjyhau for this post: 1caro2 

replied February 12th, 2012
I wish that I would have read this before I had my injection 6 weeks ago. I am walking around (hobbling) with extreme amount of knee pain, swelling in the lower outside area of my knee with warmth to the touch. Shooting pain all the way down to the side of my foot. All I know is that I hurt bad and the only place I can see my doctor is 2 1/2 hours away. It is hurting so bad that I can't even bend it. Way this the same for you?
|

replied July 20th, 2010
How long does the welling last and the stiffness?
I had a Synvisc-One shot June 23, 2010 tomorrow will be 4 weeks. The shot itself was painful but over quickly. The only problem I have is after walking etc it will swell up above the knee and it feels hot to the touch. I am certainly in less pain than when I went in, but on bending my knee after being on it, it is stiff, but better by morning.
I guess this is better than the alternative tkr!
Marauder
|

replied August 18th, 2010
Allergic Reaction and then Blood Clots
Why is the product still on the market! So many people have increased pain, swelling, and I had an allergic reaction and ended up in the ER with blood clots in my leg and lung due to immobility from these injections! This is a *(&^(&() treatment and should be banned in the US!
|

replied May 15th, 2013
Oh I so agree
|

replied August 26th, 2010
Knee pain from Synvisc injection
Had Synvisc One injection on 8-25-10. My knee is very swollen and I'm walking with crutches. Two days before the injection I was playing tennis. Had the three injection series a year ago and had no problems. Why did they stop the three injection series?
|

replied September 4th, 2010
synvisc one flar
as far as I know the problem is not the 3 versus 1 injection, it's just that you're more likely to have a flare the second time you get the treatment ... I just found that out the hard way as I just got my second synvisc one injection and my knee is swollen! I'm so angry! It's not too painful but my range of motion is definitely decreased and there's pronounced swelling that started only 3-4 hours after the injection ... the doctor isn't sure whether or not she needs to withdraw the fluid, guess I'll have to wait til after the holiday weekend to find out but I am so mad that my knee was doing pretty well and now it's a mess again! Shouldn't have gotten the 2nd injection just because it was 'time'!!!!
|

replied September 23rd, 2010
Hi folks. I have begun my 2nd round of Synvisc-One injection. I was NOT prepared for what happened. I get them every week for 3 weeks. First (1st) week, okay. No reaction. The 2nd week, that evening...pain and swelling. Luckily, I had a push cart with me. I had to pay extra for parking because I would not have been able to walk up from my parking space. Needed to be off from work for 2 days afterward! okay, so that's Wednesday--reaction. Off Thur and Fri. Just as I heal from the 2nd week...it is time for the 3rd injection (Wed again). Thought week 2 was a fluke and 3rd (final) injection for the 6 months would be okay. NO!! Same thing, swelling later in the day...had to leave work and again off Thur & Fri. No pain finally for each week by the Sat evenings. I'm not trying to lose my knees. I'm seeking alternative things. Too old for cartilage replacement...bad stuff all over my knee. I dunno' making I'll try wearing braces. There will HAVE to be something else within the next 2 years~!!~
|

replied March 7th, 2011
I've been receiving Synvisc (three injections a week apart) for three years with great results. I had my first Synvisc One injection in Fen 2010 and it lasted a year. I just had another Synvisc One two weeks ago and my knee is swollen and I am in constant pain. I was walking 3 1/2 miles six days a week and I can't walk to the end of my driveway without experiencing severe pain. I should have left well enough alone.
|

replied May 27th, 2012
Synvic one injection
My story sounds just like you. I'm 54 and been getting synvisc 1 shots once a yr. for the past 5 yrs. with very good results. It was like a miracle to me because it would last for 8 months to a yr. before pain in my right knee would return. I just had a synvisc one injection last week and was surprised because I developed severe pain and hardly can function with knee. Its a holiday weekend so have to wait to see dr. I found ibprohen to take most of the pain away. Never had a reaction like this ever! I think the PR who did the injection and mentioned she hit the bone did this to me not the medicine.
|

replied March 29th, 2011
Going in for my First Synvisc-one injection
I am 44 and am going in for my first Synvisc-one. My knee pain is tolerable but I still feel pain sitting or laying down and have to move around to get relief. I am still very active and am a little apprehensive about getting this shot. It is hard for me to put on socks or shoes and I am hoping that this is much improved. I am being told that it might be 3 to 5 week s before I feel the Synvisc-one making a difference. I will let you know my experience.
|

replied April 7th, 2011
Thought I would share my experience. I received a synvisc1 injection into each knee. I have stage 4 osteo in both knee's. No cartilage at all on medial side. During the injection the right knee was uncomfortable the left one was crazy painful (if it would have been done first I wouldn't have let them do the other lol) I had pain shoot up my leg. It swelled with a lot of fluid. I spent basically 72 hours (as much as I could w/ an 8 month old and 4 year old) with my leg elevated and rotated ice on and off every 20 mins during the day. After reading others experience I see that I am very fortunate that mine only lasted this long and went back to normal. I had no improvement from the injections but Dr. did warn I may not b/c it is typically used when there is at least some cartilage left.
|

replied June 5th, 2011
Third injection went BAD
I had my 3rd Synvisc One injection for osteoarthritis. First two gave good results. 4 hours later the swelling began, with warm spots, but no pain. 8 hours into it the pain started. It was a 6 without movement and a 10 if I tried to bend it. I ran 6 miles on this knee the day before the injection and had plans to run a half marathon 3 weeks later. Three days later I had my knee drained, then the surgeon rushed me into emergency surgery to clean it out. She ran 30 liters of fluid through it and put me on 2 high powered IV antibiotics. Was in the hospital trying to get my blood numbers under control for 3 days. They never figured out the source of infection/inflammation. Clearly a BAD reaction to this injection. Never again!
|

replied June 5th, 2011
Third injection went BAD
I had my 3rd Synvisc One injection for osteoarthritis. First two gave good results. 4 hours later the swelling began, with warm spots, but no pain. 8 hours into it the pain started. It was a 6 without movement and a 10 if I tried to bend it. I ran 6 miles on this knee the day before the injection and had plans to run a half marathon 3 weeks later. Three days later I had my knee drained, then the surgeon rushed me into emergency surgery to clean it out. She ran 30 liters of fluid through it and put me on 2 high powered IV antibiotics. Was in the hospital trying to get my blood numbers under control for 3 days. They never figured out the source of infection/inflammation. Clearly a BAD reaction to this injection. Never again!
|

replied June 7th, 2011
I had drop foot from being in coma. Drs recomended the newest one shot synvisc injection for pain relief. I had injections in both knees. 24 hours after felt as I had acid burning in my knees. Drs drained me got 72 mm from one and 58 mm out of the other. Was put on pregnozone and srtong antibiotics. Vicodone for pain and muscle relaxers. Its been over 1 month and they keep putting me off to see me for the severe pain that still exsists. I hope this has not crippled me permantley. My whole life is working with horses and riding and I have not been able to ride since before my injections.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Sinvisc Injections
I had the injections both knees before the holidays, this past Tuesday slight
swelling and pain in right knee and my left knee hurts. I can hardly walk up
and down stairs. I am very active work out every day and right now I am very
scared. It is one month to the day I got the shots they say not related. I am in the
medical field and I could kick my self for not researching first. I will never never
get these shots again. I wish I read all of these comments first.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Pain from synvisc one shots
I had my second round of synvisc one. The first round 6 months ago went fine. Much better than the 3 or 5 shot alternatives like Supartz or Ortthovisc. This time however I experienced lots of pain and stiffness. It's been 10 days since my shot and the pain is still evident but seems to be lessening.
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2012
synvisc-one injections
synvisc-one injections. I had two injections, one in each knee. The pain is a little better. I was told to wait for one month to get the relief of the pain fully. I just want to know when will that be. Because the pain may be a little better but it has not stop. I need something really soon. I am 61 years old and I do not want to lose my knees. A lesson learn is the truth and not what those people said on the synvisc-one website.
|

replied June 9th, 2012
Problem w/recent SynviscOne injection
I just had my fourth round in about two years of Synvisc-One injections, one in each knee. There was some pain the previous times, but the eventual mobility far outweighed it. After yesterday's injection, however, I am having some problems. Last night I could hardly walk, the pain in one knee was so bad. The other one seemed okay. Now tonight I have a temp over 101, which could either be a side effect or indicate infection. I am so disappointed because this has helped me so much in the past.
|
12 >>