Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

reaction to sugar

Hello
I am a 48 yr old lady, I have one month ago started on new thyroid hormones because I was so ill on the old ones. The new ones as I try to raise them seem to be unmasking problems that did exist before because I had the odd symptoms then too but get them more now.
I know my cortisol is low as I did a saliva test before going on the Armour thyroid.
I seem overly sensitive to sugars as I can eat something and turn into a maniac like I giggle and sometimes laugh madly as I eat them Shocked
I am now getting the old anxiety and wierd (possibly psychotic ) thoughts which I hate and I certainly don't do them of myself. I used to get breathless all the time on my thyroxine, since I am on lower thyroid at the moment my breathlessness is slightly less but if I have not eaten recently I feel the very pit of my stomach empty and the adrenalin can kick in and I can panic. Sometimes it is a slow decline of mental functioning and total indecisivenes even to the point of whether i want to eat or not, sometimes I have to force myself. My hubby used to think it was funny my eating a cake and going all giggly but now he sees I have a problem and when I start to panic or get anxious or confused (I was admitted to hospital with confusion 6 weeks ago they though I was having a stroke when I woke up, talking gibberish, cold sweat, low temperature, vomited, dizzy felt as though my head was toplign off, unresponsive to doctor) by the time they got me there my hubby had given me a snack of cheese and crackers and I was ok. They found nothing wrong with me even though they gave me a CT brain scan. My glucose was ok in the A and E by finger prick about 2 hours after eating the snack. Am I insane or can someone explain to me what is happening? How can I help myself, my doctor poo pood the idea when I mentioned I might be hypoglycemic.

lotsa luv
Dawnx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2008
oh forgot to mention, for the past 2 years I have been waking up in the middle of the night craving either a sandwich or cereal x
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yeah, that's a definite sugar or metabolic problem. Have you ever checked your sugar while feeling bad? That's critical. First thing you should do is get the GTT done. Ask your doctor to do it, if they won't, remind them you're paying for whatever they do so it's their obligation to do what you want. If not, find another doctor. Need to see what those results are before we can continue.
|

replied May 12th, 2008
thanks so much Stan it feels better to see that someone recognises it and I am not going mad Very Happy No I have no idea how to check my sugar. I don't have one of those dooberies from the chemist that they use at the doctors but I could buy one if it might help.
When I sign off I shall write a letter to the doctor who is always on holiday lately, and hopefully I will not suffer too much before he comes back.
lotsa luv
Dawnx
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You can pretty much test yourself. It won't be as accurate per se, but you can still get a good reading. Let me know if you can get one for fairly cheap, they're not THAT much, but you can actually get them for free, only provided your doctor determines it necessary, and it usually needs to be from an endocrinologist.
|

replied May 19th, 2008
Supporter
I'm guessing this is the NHS you're dealing with. Unless a doctor has a blood sugar reading of 2.4 or under then you won't get diagnosed for hypoglycemia. You may also have trouble finding a doctor who recognises hypoglycemia in non diabetics.

This could be any number of conditions so you should persevere with your doctor, possibly find a new one if you're not getting anywhere.

If you're sure it could be hypoglycemia and you want to check for yourself, then pick up a blood glucose monitor. The blood machines you can buy from a chemist, and they don't cost too much these days. The blood strips can be expensive so don't waste the ones that come with the machine. You could try the following test:

After an over night fast, take a blood sugar reading. This is your fasting blood sugar and should be around 4 to 6mmol. If it's less than 4mmol or more than 8mmol, don't start the test.
Then drink (within a few minutes if possible) about a bottle and a quarter of Lucozade. (normal bottles, not the giant 1ltrs!). This is approximately 75g of sugar.
Now, starting from 30 minutes after your first reading, record your blood sugar levels every 30 minutes for about 4 hours. Be careful around the 2 hour mark as your sugars may start to drop. Don't eat or drink anything until the test is over. After the first hour you'll also notice a significant rise in your blood sugars, up to 9 or 10mmol, so don't be alarmed.
Make sure there's someone in the house with you who is aware of what you are doing, and don't go out, just go about your normal activities at home.
If you start to feel symptoms, check your blood sugar again regardless of the time. If you get a reading of less than 3mmol at any point then stop the test and get something to eat, you should have something to hand ready.

Do this test at your own risk. I've never had a problem in the times that I've done this but everyone is different, so make sure there is someone with you. If you have hypoglycemia (reactive) then it'll show up in your results with a blood sugar lower than 3mmol when feeling symptoms. Also bare in mind that occasionally a perfectly healthy person can have similar readings when doing this test.

If your blood sugar doesn't drop within 6 hours then it's likely that it's a different condition.

But first and foremost, persevere with your doctors Smile
|

replied May 20th, 2008
Thanks so much you two, really useful answers.

I am seeing the doctor on Friday, if I get nowhere I will definately do it myself, in fact doing it myself might be more comfortable because sitting up at the doctors for 4 hours could be very uncomfortable (I have fm and cfs) and boring lol.

That is all really useful I found a glucose meter online so I am armed and ready to order if I decide to do it that way.

lotsa luv
Dawnx
|