Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Re-occuring taste in mouth

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
This is going to sound weird. It's been happening as long as I can think back.

At any time, in any situation, I'll get a brief flash of a taste in my mouth...but I'm not even sure it's a taste. Seems like one.

It's unlike anything, and I can't compare it to anything. It doesn't taste chemical, or like food...it's...."otherwordly" (if I may be so bold). It happens maybe 4 times a year on average, and lasts a half of a second.

Is this normal? For something to occur in the brain that flashes a weird fake-sense in the mouth? I can't define it, so it almost feels like....(I'm no neurosurgeon here, forgive me for this stupidity) some nerve fires off at the wrong time and accidentally produces the sense. It's always the same taste, which is what's not-random about it... but when I try to REMEMBER what it "tastes" like, I can't. It's frustrating - I only remember what it's like when it happens, and then it's gone.

Weird stuff.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Do you go to your dentist regularly? Sometimes if a tooth is decaying, it gives you a weird taste in your mouth. I broke a tooth one time because the tooth had decayed under a filling and I had this weird tar-like taste in my mouth--it actually tasted like the smell from that tar shampoo they use for dandruff. Go to your dentist and get your teeth checked, if you haven't recently.

It could also be a sinus issue. Do you have any allergies or any nasal/sinus problems? Stuffiness? Headaches? Facial pressure? Next time you go to your doctor, ask about this and have him check.

That's all I can think of. At least it only happens rarely, so it's not too much of a problem.
|

replied November 24th, 2009
Hi!
I think I have something simular - I `ve been getting this very strange taste in my mouth for a couple of seconds (sometimes a bit longer) - it`s not sweet ot metalic,I can`t describe it. And usually it comes with dizziness ot lightheadedness.It has happened a few times now,but I`m worried...
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
That does sound like something you should see your doctor about. This could be something neurological.
|