Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Re-herniated 8 weeks after surgery

I had laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair 8 weeks ago after being hospitalized for an incarcerated hernia. The surgeon said he discovered what he called a "swiss cheese" hernia, with lots of little fissures, so he used a 17" x 14" mesh to cover the entire abdominal wall. Recovery was relatively quick and pain-free, and I returned to normal activities within 2 weeks.

This past weekend, however, I noticed a large bulge in the same area as the original hernia. My PCP confirmed that I had re-herniated. I'm in no pain. How could this have happened with all that mesh? Is there still a chance of an incarcerated hernia? I don't want to go through that again, but I also don't want more surgery. Right now I'm scheduled to see the surgeon on 7/30.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2010
The bluge may also represent a collection of fluid that is filling up the space between the mesh and the skin (seroma), as this is rather common following laparoscopic repair of large hernias (in most cases, this fluid is reabsorbed by the body in 6 to 8 weeks).

While early recurrence of hernias following repair does occur, it is uncommon. Ultimately, your surgeon will have to examine you and decide if this is a seroma versus a recurrence of your hernia (in some cases, this may require an ultrasound or CT scan or MRI scan to be sure there is no hernia recurrence).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.