Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Re-herniated L5S1 disc after 2 microdiscectomies?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi all, I have a disc herniation on L5S1, it's going straight into the nerve route which causes sciatic pain down my left leg. I've had 2 surgerys on it, both microdiscectomies, although each have helped (before the first one which included some bone removal I could hardly walk and was taking morphine), it's still not great. Im 2 weeks in after the 2nd surgery and getting quite a lot of pain in my bum cheek and stabby type pains down the leg Sad I'm worried it's herniated for a third time Sad I'm still resting a lot, not driving etc and really don't want more surgery when it doesn't appear to be working, does anyone have any suggestions, similar experiences or advice they can give me? I'm thinking I may have to live with this Sad or could be worrying for no reason although from past experience my body doesn't seem to heal well Sad.
I was thinking maybe to start building strong core muscles with swimming and Pilates rather than looking to surgery again to try to get rid of the pain permenantly, but could do with some advice. Totally fed up Sad
I'm 27 and currently on leave from work Sad
1st surgery -23rd march 2012; 2nd surgery - 1st may 2012
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2012
hi yoyo i have Herniated disk on L3-L4 L4-L5 for a year 7 month ago i start treat with hydrotherapy and physiotherapy and start to swim twice a week to strongest the core muscles and i can tell you that in my case its really help and now i almost don't fill the pain and come to full activity life u can see here few Exercises that i published in my site and u can contact with me if u want to see. hope u feel good soon and come back to normal life
tal
|

replied May 16th, 2012
Thanks
Thanks Talgo this is very reassuring Smile I am going to start building up the core muscles to see if that helps before pursuing any more medical intervention. Thanks for your advice Smile
|