Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

3rd stage lung cancer

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Can anyone advise....................

I have a friend who was diagnosed with stage III lung cancer. She has been through radiotherapy, and was given the all clear. Unfortunately, three months later has been told it has came back in the same area but has not spread.

She was given a chemo drug, but made her very ill, so she has came off it.

Surgery is not an option, because of the position, but can you tell me if chemo itself would be benificial and what the life expectancy is after receiving it, I do understand it would just be a rough estimate.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Elaine984
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
About 19 to 24 out of every 100 people diagnosed with stage 3 of lung cancer will live for at least 5 years after diagnosis and treatment.
Combination therapy, involving the use of both chemotherapy and RT, appears to work better than either radiation therapy or chemotherapy alone for people with unresected stage III non-small cell lung cancer.
Adding chemotherapy to radiation therapy doubled the number of lung cancer patients alive after 5 years, and doubled that number again if chemotherapy and radiation therapy were given at the same time rather than sequentially.
Chemotherapy provides only modest survival benefits when given separately (1 to 2 months) in disseminated non-small cell lung cancer.
According to clinical statistics, people with lung cancer stage 3 will have life expectancy of 15 months.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
Stage III Lung Cancer
So even though my friend had radical radiotherapy, and they are just offering now, chemo injection, would the life expectancy be slightly longer?
|

replied October 16th, 2012
Cancer 3rd stage
Life Expectancy is upto 5 years for the 3rd stage cancer patients after the chemotheraphy. But studies says if the patience mental condition is good and willing to live then he can prolong his life for 5 years otherwise it would be 2 or 3 years.
|