Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Rates of Risk

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
What are the risks of a woman becoming infected with hiv from one-time unprotected intercourse from a man? (Assuming he is infected)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
not to be mean but.........................
It does not matter what the rates are...1 in 10 or 1 in a million...you could be the one so NO...rates are not important,being safe is required 100% of the time or you may as well play Russian Rullet ... it only takes one encounter with one infected person to change your life...forever. You could be the one in a million or the one in 10...does the #'s really matter when you are talking about your health and life??
|

replied March 17th, 2009
Dear Homerx,

I understand what you're saying and no, it's not worth the risk. But, in the past I made that mistake of having unprotected sex once. I am planning on getting tested. But I was just wondering if anyone here had statistics because, well, statistics do count for something. I'd appreciate anything you can tell me, thank you,
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
OK, I hear ya! Here is what i know..hope it helps and Be SAFE,my friend!!!100% of the time from NOW on! I want you on this planet with me alive and well!!!!
This is not meant to scare you or anyone else who may read it..its just the facts.

Girls are especially at risk for contracting the AIDS virus. Nearly half the HIV infections today are in the 15-24 age group. Girls in this age group are seven times as likely as boys to become infected. They are often sexually active earlier than boys. Girls’ bodies are also more susceptible to infection because their underdeveloped reproductive systems are more fragile, increasing their exposure to the virus.
The Risk of Transmission

HIV can only be transmitted when certain bodily fluids are exchanged. You can greatly reduce the risk of transmission by:

Always practicing safe sex and avoiding contact with sexual fluids.
Not injecting drugs, or always using new or clean needles.
If you are planning to get pregnant, finding out your HIV status, and working with a knowledgeable doctor will greatly reduce the chances of your baby catching the virus.

Protecting yourself will greatly reduce the chances of getting or passing HIV by casual contact, and remember HIV is not transmitted by:

Hugs.
Dancing.
Sharing food or drinks.
Using or sharing a shower, bath, or bed.
Kissing (between people with no significant dental problems).
Sharing exercise equipment.

As far as actual numbers... a 1 time encounter of a woman with a positive man is something like .001-.003 transmission rate. Or 1 in 500

The odds of you getting HIV from this one time unprotected act of intercourse with a male of unknown status are 1/500.

There are 250 million people in the US. Out of those 250 million people, there are about 950,000 known HIV infections. Each year 45,000 new infections occur. Look at those statistics.

That being said, you still did have unprotected sex and even though the chance that your are positive is slim, you still should get tested. Please remember to test 3 months after your last possible exposure, because only then will your test results be conclusive.

Take care and protect yourself from now on. All this worry and stress is not worth it.
Hope this helped...
Peace and Love,
Homer rainbow
|

replied March 17th, 2009
This is detailed and very helpful! Thanks so much Homer, you must have spent some time putting that information together- I really appreciate it. Peace and Love to you XOX
|
Users who thank yrettol for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hay,my pleasure..I appreciated your refreshing candid honesty! Say hi on occasion! Take care... luvcomp
|