Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

rash in beard area (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hey everyone I've had this problem ever since I was almost 16 that has caused me to be extremely self-conscious. In my mustache and beard area there is this red/pinkish inflammation and rash. It even is there before I shave. I have basically resorted to having stubble all the time to hide the redness. If I shave it gets even worse and becomes even more red and inflamed. This condition is always visible and you can even be seen through my stubble. It's so embarrassing. It shows up worse in pictures. I've seen my dermatologist twice who just keeps saying I have "sensitive skin" and has given me a few eczema treatments which have been no help. I don't know what to do. I've spent hours of researching on the internet about skin conditions that would cause this problem but none seem to be my problem. There's no "bumps" per say but the skin is raised from the rest of the mustache/beard area . Interestingly, my cheeks are fine and do not have this inflammation. I am so desperate to figure out what is causing this problem and how I can fix it! any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 15th, 2008
rash in beard area
I have exactly the same problem. Did you get any useful answers?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
|

replied October 8th, 2010
Rash, Beard, redness, flakiness, splotchiness
It could be a staph infection in which case you'll need antibiotics. I have the same exact thing, when I shave my beard down its really red and when my beard grows out flakiness and redness takes over in certain spots. I too have left stubble to hide the redness. I finally sent pictures to a friend of mine who is a really good ER doctor (used to be a surgeon) he immediately diagnosed it as a staph infection of sorts and is giving me antibiotics (which I never take) but I need to get rid of this thing. I don't think it is what the posting above this says with the link to mayoclinic, that is not this. Good luck.
|

replied August 1st, 2011
It does sound like an eczematous rash like the dermatologist said. To take a guess, it sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, a type of eczema which is worse under moustaches and beards. Shaving (gently) seems to help; treatment also includes antifungal creams such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox, and antifungal shampoo as a facewash such as nizoral shampoo. The reason for the antifungals is that this condition has been linked to the yeast malassazia. Low potency steroids such as desonide can work very well, but should be used under a doctors supervision. A less likely cause of a facial rash is another type of eczema, atopic dermatitis. However, it sounds like you were treated for this already.
|

replied June 13th, 2012
Help
Depressed shaver, did you ever solve this?? I just found this thread and I think we have the same thing!
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Red, flaky skin under facial hair
I have it myself. It just started about 2 years ago and it also was around the time I quit shaving and started letting my stubble grow and used a trimmer as close as possible. I have had a beard before and it did not do this, but as soon as I let it grow a little I get dry flaky skin. I can still see a little redness under the long stubble, but when I trim it it turns bright red and feels hot and maybe slightly raised.

I have no clue???????
|

replied August 14th, 2012
dandruff face
same deal here, red blotchy patches in my eye brows, mustache and beard area. Maybe its a yeast or something? its a pain in the butt because i have face dandruff. Dermatologists and doctors have no clue except how to sell expensive drugs. Anybody have any success getting rid of this?
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
I have struggled on and off with the same thing for years. Only an acupuncturist could help me. In Chinese medicine this is considered a heat condition. Reduce spicy foods and eat lots of cooling things like cucumbers, cabbage and brown rice. Dandelion root extract is really good too. Also Alveda skin care has an aftershave that works wonders.
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
Same blotchy re flaky skin
I get the same blocthy red flaky skin in the same some around my mustache and goatee.. I get it mostly in the fall and winter times. If I shave atleast every 2 days I will not get it, but if I don't shave for 4 or more days the spots come out again. What I do is shave and put gold bond or cortisone cream on them and by morning they are almost gone. I don't want to keep using these types of creams but this is the only thing that works for me.. Has anyone found a better solution to this?
|

replied November 8th, 2012
If i shave every day my skin is clear, two days of not shaving and the area around my mouth and chin gets red, burns real bad for a day or two, then it stops, two days later it all flakes off, then starts over. Any help on this is appreciated..
|

replied November 27th, 2012
two days without shaving and my skin becomes inflamed
im the same, I first had it after i grew my beard 6 years ago ... now its chronic around the mouth in a full circular appearance when i cease shaving for two days or more. My diet and stress levels are not amazing ... I feel this plays a part but thats a gut feeling ...

would love some concrete evidence on this
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 12th, 2012
Diet and stress are key to solving this issue.

I suffered with itchy dry red patches on my upper lip, eyebrows and even in my sideburns until about 2 years ago when I pretty much had a stress induced nervous breakdown which gave me cause to re-evaluate my life.

I gave up smoking (both pot and normal smokes), switched the junk food for 5-a-day fruit and veg, makesure I drink plenty of water and exercise 5 times per week. The red patches have stopped completely, tho I was injured 4 months ago and couldn't run for 3 weeks and the stress of losing my coping mechanism coupled with the lack of physical activity meant that the blotches made a temporary reappearance.

Basically, a good diet + regular exercise (- toxins!) = less stress = healthy skin = feel good about yourself = less stress = happy life!
|

replied December 20th, 2012
Rash in Beard Area
I have the same problem and so does my Dad. When you shower, before you shampoo, sprinkle apple cider vinegar on the problem areas. I just do my whole head. Let it soak for a bit feel the tingle. Then rinse and shampoo as normal. This is excellent for the skin and hair and makes the condition go away completely if done a couple of times a week. For more stubborn spots on my face I use hydrogen peroxide. Just give it a good scrub with a q-tip and it'll flake off and be gone within a couple days most of the time.
|

replied February 10th, 2013
I got the same problem too. Itchy red short lines on my beard area and flaky skin on the sideburns which later caused whitening. Hope I'll find solutions.
|

replied March 5th, 2013
This 100% works
use Elocen 0.1% . I gurantee it will get rid of it within three days! I use it myself...anytime you feel its coming back just use it again! It does work!
|

replied March 23rd, 2013
It's sugar related yeast I've had it for years
Stopping sugar or a gel called betnovate half gel fixes it overnight.
I get it if I grow stubble or on my scalp and even in the corners of my nose.
Half an hour after sugar or dairy I can feel a tingle.
Hope this helps.
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
I had something similar. I started working out more often and wasn't showering enough and got a fungal infection in my beard. It looks similar to what you described, and i was prescribed anti-fungal medication and it cleared up afterwards. hope this helps
|

replied November 16th, 2013
I used the tea tree oil. I applied full strength on the cotton swab once
a day for 2 days and the red patches disappeared completely after maybe
a week or two. The tea tree oil seems to be working for any fungal infection. I used it also with a great result for the jock itch. The tea tree oil
is available in drugstores, Walmart etc
|
12 >>