Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Rapid Weight loss, Then Rapid Weight Gain. Kefir?

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
User Profile
I'm 29, 5'6, and during most of my life I have been on average 130 pounds. I have had depression, and what I believe is an abnormal metabolism - I could eat anything I want and not gain a pound. Even with strict exercise and diet. I've been in sports all my life, and I've noticed that the physical load never got any easier.

Years ago, I was on a strict weight lifting program of 3 days a week. I'd consume massive amounts of food and protein past my appetite, which was the only way I was gaining. The highest I got during lifting, was 160. If I'd miss one meal, I'd be 2 pounds less the next day. After I stopped, my weight quickly dropped back to 135-140 range.

Right now I am 171.5. The only thing different I have been doing is drinking kefir whole milk. I've read lots about kefir, and I've found nothing that mentions weight gain, only weight loss. Is it possible that kefir has balanced out my metabolism?

The weight is very rapid. Last year I was 135, in November. I was shocked once I hit 160 (my all time high) then today I step on the scale and I'm over 170. I fear I'll be 180 in a few weeks. I've always wanted to put on weight, but this is a bit scary. My health has always been perfect. I've always been very muscular and strong for my size too. I seem to build muscle quite rapidly in my chest and shoulders especially. I don't eat a lot, and it's all healthy (whole grain, no processed sugar). I am quite active too. I run up the stairs barefooted many times a day because I just can't sit still.

Any ideas what this could be? Thank you.

Also, I have had my thyroid checked and the results were fine.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 4th, 2011
Hai,
I am new to this thread,,,,I really dont have an idea about this,,,is there anyone there that can help our friend?
|

replied July 6th, 2011
It's true that we gain weight when we eat more than we can burn off. But this conventional diet wisdom does not always hold true. Weight gain can also be caused by health conditions such as hypothyroidism, food sensitivity, Cushing's syndrome, organ disease, prescription drug use, anxiety, blood sugar imbalance, and essential fatty acid deficiency.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
First of all consult your doctor tell hom your problem, sometime due some deficiecy it happen then see your diet chart.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
i think every one can do fistof all getup the early morning ad get do it yoga then feel better then after give the juice or some do it exercise.

replied December 4th, 2011
Kefir helps you break down your food more efficiently so it can be utilized by the body. It sounds like your food was just going straight through you before. I recommend you eat more fresh fruits & vegetables as the body will not store these foods as fat. Are you gaining fat or muscle? If you are gaining muscle and your tissues are becoming fuller & healthier. then the kefir is helping your body normalize. If you are gaining fat then you need to cut back on refined processed foods.

Natural Foods Health Practitioner
|

replied December 8th, 2011
A weight loss tip accompanied by walking helps you a lot in losing weight. Three universal goals that most of us share are to live longer, to live free of illness or disease and to control our weight. Interesting enough, normal walking lets us achieve all three.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
More about Kefir
I am not sure about weight loss/gain, but Kefir does indeed change your gut flora. These changes are beneficial in a garden variety disease such as Crohn's Disease, IBD, and much more.

Thanks, Carol.
|