Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Rapid heartbeat at rest after exercise

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
I am a fit 67 year old and regularly take part in cycling sportives, both road and cross country. On three occasions recently I have experience rapid pulse rate at rest after 100 mile sportives.
My normal resting pulse is around 45-48, but after the ride + 3 hours yesterday it was 103. During the 9 hour ride I drank 4.5 liters of fluid containing electrolye powder and also took caffiene gels.
Once it was still at 93 after a nights sleep.
A visit to ER was given the " Too old and too much exercise" talk but no cardiac investigation or other explanation.
At this moment, post 15 hours it has reduced to 55.
Any ideas on what is causing this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
Supporter
hello and i must admire you for your fitness...now about your caffeine gels you took..with small amounts of caffiene the heart is stimulated which increases your heart rate.
the blood pressure circulates faster and blood pressure also increases for a short time.
too much caffiene over stimulates the heart muscle and therefore this leads to palpitations..
i advise you cut back on the caffiene and if this doesn,t help get a check up..
happy cycling.
|
Did you find this post helpful?