Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Rapid changes in blood pressure

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
38 year old male, 5'9" and 145 lbs. - Lately when I take my blood pressure, I notice large changes with each passing minute. For example, I sat down and two minutes later I took my blood pressure. It was 155/88 with a pulse of 87. I waited a minute, took it again, and it was 135/78 with a pulse of 78. I took it a third time and it was 124/78 with a pulse of 73. Should I be worried about high blood pressure? This has happened twice over the past two days. Should I sit longer before taking my initial bp? I do suffer from anxiety attacks, and this could also have something to do with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Blood pressure rises for most people after exercise, so if you have been even just walking briskly before you take your blood pressure it could cause the temporary increase.
A few other things to watch out for are ibuprofen, caffeine and decongestants as these can also increase blood pressure temporarily.
Your anxiety attacks may very well be the source, but if you are concerned don't hesitate to call your doctor!
|

replied December 31st, 2009
Same here jj4960. Just did the same as you. 1st reading 124/84..a few minutes later 145/85..a few minutes later 140/79. In just a few minutes (while doing nothing between readings) how can BP go up from 124 to 145...21 points? This is driving me crazy and happens all the time. Sometimes my 2nd reading taken a few minutes after the first goes up, sometimes it goes down. It's all over the map. Is this normal for rapid severe changes like this? Which is the true reading? Is there something wrong with my BP monitor?

Thanks for any help with this.

New member by the way...with recently discovered BP problems. Hello everyone.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
Yes, me too. My systolic reading fluctuate by an average of 16 points over three readings (e.g. 151, 135, 140) and the diastolic by an average of 6.5 points.

I was using one machine and assumed it was faulty, but then bought a new clinically approved upper-arm cuff monitor, and found the same thing. I haven't been exercising, or using caffeine, ibuprofen or anything else. And I'm meticulous about taking the readings, just sitting still in between.

I'd really like some ideas about this.
|

replied August 9th, 2010
I recently had a short stay in hospital, and mentioned to a senior doctor that my blood pressure readings varied dramatically. His response was: 'I'm not concerned about that; some people just have very labile blood pressure'. So, no explanation, but some reassurance...
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
Hope this helps.
Checking your blood pressure can be a frustrating task for some individuals. There are many factors that can cause variations, body position, activity level, diet and even mental stressors can cause a rise in systolic BP. Normal BP 120/80 is only a guideline, however, when it is consistently greater than 140/90 an individual should consider taking medications to help control it. Albeit, exercise is a much safer alternative with more desirable side effects, e.g. strength/energy gains, decreased BP, decreased risk of stroke/heart attack, decreased stress. Many of the BP monitors that you can buy are accurate, but be sure to wait at least 2 minutes between readings and be consistent, taking measurements on the same arm each time. The room you perform your readings in should be quiet and try to take these readings prior to eating as well. If your BP is on the borderline, between 130-140 systolic, try initiating a walking program approx. 5 days/wk and see if that doesn't take care of it. However, for some people, genetics play a large role. African Americans and Hispanics are more likely to have high blood pressure, other hereditary problems as well as obesity can also negatively affect BP. Not to mention, smoking is a large contributor to high BP and the risk of stroke/heart attack.

Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
Docs have been wrong for 30 years
There is a lot of research coming in that the docs have been wrong for 30 years, that moderately high b/p (less 159/99) will not shorten your life or increase heart attacks or strokes. But I do wonder why an hour's brisk walk can raise my b/p to something like 175/95 for several hours afterwards. I'm 75 and my arteries don't have the flexibility. Is this rise bad?
|

replied July 13th, 2013
Fluctuating blood pressure readings - minute by minute
Thanks for this thread. I was diagnosed with elevated blood pressure and since then I've purchased a blood pressure machine to regularly monitor my bp at home.

I'm also experiencing this rapid variations in bp readings from one minute to the next. The first reading could be 160/93 then 143/80, then 162/81, then 150/82, then 136/78, then 144/76, then 129/76. This is when taken at approximate one minute intervals.

Is there an explanation for this minute-by-minute variation in readings?

Thanks!

Alpha B
|

replied August 21st, 2013
Rapid Changes in Blood Pressure over a short time
I see this postings were a few years ago but I'm experiencing the same thing Even in the doctor's office I went from 140/82 to 119/91 to 106/60 in a matter of 10 minutes I almost passed completely out and my blood pressure was so low I kept getting an error message until I started to feel like i was coming back and then it was 79/46.
|

replied September 5th, 2013
Blood Pressure Taking
My machine does the same thing as everyone else has complained about at this post. Most likely we are all using digital machines. I think having the old-fashioned reading is best, but we can't have a personal bp taker. One note that I've been told is to take it early in the morning before any coffee and after sitting for at least 5 mins. Also, don't take it one minute afterwards - wait 5 minutes for the arm to completely relax again.
|