Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Random red eyes with no symptoms!

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
In September of 2007 I had a bad fall and fell on my head. When i went to the doctor they believed that I had bled into my eyes and had a bit of head trauma.

Since then I have been having random bouts of red eyes, something which I had never had before. There are no symptoms, and unless someone points it out or I look into a mirror, I never know when it has come up. The only red part is the white part of the eye, and it is -red- not pink.

I've tried washing my eyelids every night, I've been given steroids and antibiotics (both in eyedrop form), and it has STILL come back. At first they thought it was episcleritis, then they said it was staph in my eyes (which i got treated with 2 antibiotics for, bad week that was), and now I have to go back and ask them what it is AGAIN.

I cannot stand this anymore! People look at me weirdly and accuse me of being high, having pink eye or looking like an alien. What if I have a job interview and it pops up? It will make me look completely terrible and they'll suspect that I don't sleep or I'm high (which I never have been) and they won't consider me! I'm terrified that I'm never going to be able to live a normal life again!

I'm going to Bascom Palmer, the number one eye institute in the US and they can't figure it out. What is it!?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I hope you get an answer when you see the doctors.
Did they do any scans of your head when you fell last year?
|

replied April 6th, 2008
No, they didn't scan my head because I was alert enough that they thought nothing of it. I'm pretty sure I had a concussion though because I had a lot of memory problems, like I wouldn't remember where I was sometimes.
|

replied April 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It might be a good idea to get a scan. Sometimes we have to insist on some tests. The insurance companies run our worlds which makes it hard for doctors to get any type of approval for treatments.

Keep us posted..Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Definitely get a scan! It really concerns me that they did not do this: being alert isn't the indication of no internal injury. Whenever there is sufficient head trauma there can be internal bleeding and it might be only a matter of time before you aren't so alert because you have an hemorrhage ....not saying that's what you have, but it's possible.
|

replied April 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
Sounds like the aftereffects of your fall are still there. I'm surprised, too, that they didn't do a head scan, but you must get it!

I'm sorry that I can't give much medical advice, but don't worry about your appearances. Sensible people shouldn't get the wrong impression of you merely by a different colour in your eyes. I've seen several people go around with yellow/red/whatever on the white and it's pretty obvious they have it from an injury or illness. However if you're really worried about your job interviews, maybe you could try wearing an eyepatch (black or plaster/bandage). They will assume that you have a medical condition.

Let me know how it turns out! Smile
|

replied November 16th, 2009
this happens to me too!! i've never hit my head or anything, and i doubt i'm allergic to anything because i didn't change anything when it started happening. I never feel anything, but i always get comments just like you said! it just randomly pops up sometimes! i don't know what to do!
|