Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Raised bump on head

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
User Profile
Hello,
I have noticed that I have a bump on my head that seems slightly raised, and will bleed on occasion. it is pink in color, and It forms a scab, but never really heals up. The spot seems to bleed a watery looking blood. I am worried, and have no insurance. I was wondering how concerned I should be.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2009
Skin Cancer Answer A6288
Unfortunately, it is impossible to make a specific diagnosis over the Internet. One should always be concerned, however, when lumps or bumps in the skin fail to heal, and spontaneously bleed (especially if they are enlarging over time). A simple biopsy can usually make the diagnosis of a cancerous versus benign lesion of the skin. Therefore, if possible, you should seek medical care through whatever programs might be available in your area to uninsured patients (such as Medicaid or free clinics, for example).

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.