Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Quitting smoking and anxiety

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
I am currently trying to cut down on smoking so I can quit. Problem is I have anxiety (I don't take meds for it). I'm starting to struggle with cutting down more and seem to find myself on a plateau. Don't know what to do, I've been high strung lately and too scared to go cold turkey now, for fear of smoking again in full force. Any ideas/thoughts/tips? Oh I did try the stop smoking pill, it worked till I quit smoking (last year). Thank you Thank you!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 29th, 2010
hi, i really appreciate your decision ! i would like to give some ideas through which you can get ride of smoke.first thing you have make your decision ver strong and when ever you think to have a smoke you have to realise your decision to stop smoking.
second thing, you have to think that you are not a smoker and u haven't tried that one in your past.formula is just to make ur mind think that you are not a smoker and you hate smoking.
|

replied December 29th, 2010
Talk to a doctor or shrink about your anxiety. Sometimes they can prescribe you anxiety meds and that helps cut down on the urge to smoke.

I found that by being medicated with a very low dose of xanax and chewing nicorette in emergencies, I was able to successfully quit Smile
|

replied March 10th, 2011
quit smoking
I used to be a very happy go lucky person. When I was almost 19, I took up smoking as I became stressed out about going to college. I became less able to focus, never exercised, and this last year I started having panic attacks (to the point of where my limbs went numb).

I quit only 4 days ago (21 now), but already feel wayyy less anxious. The withdrawal symptoms so far aren't fun. You just need to think of how proud you will be of yourself in the long run. Xanax can help anxiety. Good diet, exercise, relaxation techniques, and not taking poison into your body will help too!!
|
Quick Reply