Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

quitting marijuana & sleep disorders

Hello, I'm 25 years of age and have been smoking marijuana for roughly 10 years now, consistently. I am being honest when I say I have probably been high for over 7 years straight. I eat right, I work-out, I am a member of society, I work very well when I'm high, and no one ever notices. I have good jobs, I'm a very fast learner (contrary to belief), and can maintain myself very well. I do smoke cigarettes, very lightly, a pack lasts me a week+/-.

Recently I came across a situation where I wasn't able to smoke for a few days (5 to be precise). During this time I was completely off-the-walls with energy, amounts of energy I never knew was even possible! I felt so amped up I never knew what to do with myself. I couldn't focus on anything for more than a few minutes before jumping to something different. My biggest concern was that this energy seemed to never fade away. Trying to fall asleep turned into hours and hours of tossing around in my bed feeling like I can run a marathon, only to wake up feeling like I never slept at all.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Honestly, if that was the 'real' me, I'm staying stoned. Again; contrary to believe, I work and maintain myself better high, or so it would seem.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mackboi
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Hi Rubedo,

I have several friends that smoke weed a lot of the time. I used to find that i'd have problems getting to sleep at night but i have managed to cure that. My friends would tell me that's one of the benefits of smoking, that they would be able to get a much better night's rest than i would!

Obviously as weed is a depressant it will help you get to sleep at night, and if you have been smoking constantly for years-admitedly my friends haven't been smoking it to excess for as many years as you perhaps only 3/4 but they have had breaks. Then it would have quite a large impact. Maybe you should consider cutting down and trying not to smoke as much. Try exercising more to eliminate the added levels of energy that you may observe.

Do you consume much caffeine on average per day? Did you on the days you weren't smoking? because that would obviously have an impact. If you did, try and cut that out if you won't cut down much on the weed.

With regards to getting to sleep, try listening to calming music, having a massage, drinking warm milk. There are lots and lots of different thinks you can do if you're struggling to get to sleep and if you can't sleep get up and do something else after half an hour of trying.

It sounds like you have quite a strong dependency on the drug and it is linked to you sleeping. That could prove very bad in the long run especially if you choose to stop smoking altogether. When I stopped smoking the easiest thing to do was just to cut it out completely for you that may not be the right option.

|

replied December 5th, 2013
weed isn't a depressant.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
Thanks for the ideas & the response,
I thought I should clarify something, I don't smoke massive amounts of marijuana, only a couple of hits every few hours. My main question that I didn't quite state is; Is it possible I could have given myself a sleep disorder by sleeping like a baby with the help of marijuana all these years?
Since the 'break' I've tried some experimenting, and I definitely do not sleep well at all unless I smoke.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2010
All marihuana users know how absurd the falling asleep proces is under the effects of THC. If you are just the slightest bit tired... smoke the joint and lay down in bed you will drift away in a dreamless sleep within a few minutes. While other sideeffects of THC like problems with logical thinking and munchies tend to go away as the brain and body get used to THC, it is not the case with that super sleep.

THC raises melatonin levels by 40x. That is alot. You must get used again to the natural falling asleep proces. That means your brain has to create a healty dosis of melatonin on its own. Only this should merely take a few days. As you have been used to the fast falling asleep proces a psychological side effect is that your personality will produce thoughts like "damn this, with THC I could have fallen asleep 20 times already!" as you turn yourself to the other end of the bed, keeping you awake even longer. And because marijuana slows down the speed of your brain you will notice much more thoughts passing by while in bed, leaving you awake.

I''ll give you some tips on how to overcome this (I found them extremely effective). This one is by far the most important: Keep yourself busy. Work hard, exercise much, stay up late and tire yourself out really hard. This way your brain has no choice but to work along. Not only your brain but also your personality will have a chance to stay distracted from the withdrawal proces, making it easier for yourself.
Do not drink caffeine a few hours before going to sleep and also keep the nicotine as low as possible (this also in the hours before going to bed). You stated you are not addicted to nicotine by ''normal'' standards so less nicotine will help calm you down. Do not use any replacing techniques. Do not take sleep pills or melatonin supplements or to much alcohol to yet again make your falling asleep proces bad. You must recover.

In the beginning days these tips will leave you very frustrated. You will roll in bed thinking what can I do about this but smoke a joint. Safe to say first day you won''t sleep at all (this also depends on how heavily you took my advise of making yourself tired). But soon another problem will arise: the effects of lack of sleep on the brain. When this day pops up go to bed early and from there on keep holding a steady sleeping rhythm. You can stop making yourself very tired purposely. You soon are cured and must not look back to marijuana ever again.
|

replied July 18th, 2013
vib, your on point,absolutely true. I have been smoking now for about 5 years straight,every day and it was fine until I got into the habbit of smoking before bed time,at first I had the most incredible sleep nights ever,then soon after that I started waking up about every 3 hrs,which would lead me to light up again trying to find that deep sleep pattern again.stupid me didn't realize that what I was ending up with was a whole lotta of weed usage and a sleep disorder waking up in the morning as if I were in a brawl fight aching back from tossing,cranky and after few days of almost no sleep completely useless of mind at work because of over tiredness..went to see a dr and he said not giving you sleep pills .going to just have to bit the bullet and let your body and mind adjust back to its normall levels..took his advice tired my self out daily as much as I could and eventually after around week and half started to notice I was sleeping more hours steady.doc told me to quit but I haven't and never will(its to important for me its a great way for me desress from all the bs of life and work,without bothering anyone)now I just make it point to smoke earlier at night and do my last bowl about 2 hrs before bed,not to het back hooked on the same problem..there is no easy way for the first 2 weeks your going to have to fight the urge of lighting up to fall asleep.but beleave me it will pass and your nights will go back to normall,smoke all you want just don't turn it into a sleep medication and dependency.remember last bake of the night at least 2 to 3 hrs before bed.oh yea and the energy boost people experience had that also,that to passes.just understand its going be a tough couple of weeks keep telling yourself this way I am spending less on weed..happy blazzing ..hope it helps some
|

replied July 18th, 2013
vib, your on point,absolutely true. I have been smoking now for about 5 years straight,every day and it was fine until I got into the habbit of smoking before bed time,at first I had the most incredible sleep nights ever,then soon after that I started waking up about every 3 hrs,which would lead me to light up again trying to find that deep sleep again.stupid me didn't realize that what I was ending up with was a whole lotta of weed usage and a sleep disorder waking up in the morning as if I were in a brawl fight aching back from tossing,cranky and after few days of almost no sleep completely useless of mind at work because of over tiredness..went to see a dr and he said not giving you sleeping pills .going to just have to bit the bullet and let your body and mind adjust back to its normall levels..took his advice tired my self out daily as much as I could and eventually after around week and half started to notice I was sleeping more hours steady.doc told me to quit but I haven't and never will(its to important for me its a great way for me destress from all the b-s of life and work,without bothering anyone)now I just make it a point to smoke earlier at night and do my last bowl about 2 hrs before bed,not to get hooked back on the same problem..there is no easy way for the first 2 weeks your going to have to fight the urge of lighting up to fall asleep.but beleave me it will pass and your nights will go back to normall,smoke all you want just don't turn it into a sleep medication and dependency.remember last bake of the night at least 2 to 3 hrs before bed.oh yea and the energy boost people experience had that also,that also passes.just understand its going be a tough couple of weeks keep telling yourself this way I am spending less on weed..no easy solution just good old willpower.. happy blazzing ..hope it helps some
|

replied November 1st, 2011
ive hit a point in my life where passing a drug test is crutial. ive been smoking for 5 years solid and its not the quitting that bothers me its not being able to fall asleep.i find it impossible to fall asleep even if i have a strenous physical and/or mental day. ive been resorting to poppin a couple benedryl but even that takes roughly 2 hours to put me out and i feel very tired and sluggish upon awakening. ive never had to quit but now i have no choice n idk how to handle this sleeping obstacle ive encountered
|

replied May 24th, 2012
ok, I am 32 years old and I have been smoking weed since I was 20, roughly 1 to 2 bowls a day. I am in a situation where I have to quit smoking or go to jail. I have been clean now for 28 days and I still find that I get only 3-5 hours of sleep a night. I find that I have vivid dreams that will wake me up every 20-30 minutes or so, and that when I do fall back asleep, I go right back into the dream where I left off. It has gotten to the point where I dont want to go back to sleep. I tried taking melatonin and that definitely didnt work. It only made my dreams more vivid and lucid. I, like the other guy, am healthy, exercise regularly, have a good job (construction), and tend to be normal in society. Most people dont even know that I smoke. I have been trying different techniques to help me sleep, but to no avail. I believe that every person is different when it comes to marijauna and whats good for you is good for you. I WILL NOT take sleeping pills. Sleeping pills are 5x more likely to give people strokes and can cause dependency. I am worried about my sleep habits because there was a study done that showed that people who wake up a lot during the night are highly suseptible to gettting type 2 diabetes, because sleep helps maintain healthy glucoses levels and when you dont sleep normally, those levels tend to flucuate. I say screw what people traditionally want you to do and go back to smoking herb. You dont even have to smoke it, just buy a vaporizer, therefore there is no carcinigons. I just wish people would stop trying to control people and there lifestyle, especially if it doesnt create problems.
|

replied December 19th, 2012
my cannabis experience
i've been smoking pretty much everyday for a few years now. somedays i'll be taking bong loads and volcano vape bags all day long and be stoned 24/7. other days i only smoke a couple times at the least. rarely will i go a day without smoking. it's been about 5 days since i quit. luckily i typically didnt smoke right before bed so my sleep was only slightly disrupted. the first thing i noticed was a sore pain on one side of my jaw. its been getting worse as the days go on. i believe its tmj. i think im grinding my teeth when i sleep. never experienced this before. i've also been having the most vivid dreams as well. i cant remember the last time i remembered any sort of dream. last night i woke up multiple times drenched in sweat. also my dreams were not only vivid but lucid as well. it was actually a really enjoyable experience being able to dream and do as i please in my dreams despite how absurd they were. like for instance i went to a bar with my dad and he bought a drink and asked me why i didnt have one. only being 19 i hesitated for a minute. then went and got a beer. thats where the fun started haha. i dreamed i was vaping out of my volcano which has been sadly out of commission. i also dreamed of dropping acid. that i dont remember much of. after typing this out im beginning to notice a pattern here. my dreams consisted of other things besides drugs but i thought it was interesting because i truly felt the effects from the alcohol, pot, and lsd. i remember another instance i had a dream of smoking weed when i took a tolerance break. and i also had a dream of dropping acid back when i was slightly obsessed with the drug. but since then i came to the realization its only a drug. not some magical spirit molecule that i used to imagine it to be. that molecule has taught me more than i could have imagined to know about myself. it made me realize how obsessed i was and how much more to life there is besides just a drug that teases us with enlightenment. anyways enough rambling and back to marijuana withdrawals. i've been having intense mood swings as well as appetite swings. i'll be irritable and edgy then anxious and depressed the next moment. after that passes i'll be extremely happy and blissful. i wake up feeling really hungry. sometimes i'll instantly get full other times i just keep eating. its unpredictable. also i've been having this lingering headache. just a dull soreness. nothing unbearable. usually my worst symptoms are insomnia and loss of appetite. as well as irritability and restlessness. ive never had headaches from not smoking and its been constant for almost a week now. even if i go a day maybe 2 i only experience restlessness and an extreme urge to toke it up. almost a year ago i went through a bad incident and was really depressed for about a couple weeks and just gave up smoking. i didnt experience a single one of these symptoms which now strikes me as weird. after about a month of being sober spring break came around and i got smashed and started smoking again. which was awesome. i've noticed though that i cant smoke when im not in a good mood anymore. i used to smoke when i was depressed and boom, im as happy as can be. i think it has to do with the root of my depression. i realized that occasionaly i will fall into these bouts of depression and all i wanna do is sit around smoke weed all day. ive learned that this is not the solution and i must learn to cope with it without weed. but at the time it feels like there is no solution. and often i dont recognize this bout until a week or two into it. just my two cents. if something in your life is making you unhappy whether you know the cause or not, smoking is not the answer. lay off the ganja and set your priorities straight. your tolerance will plummet and you'll be back on the high roads again. happy as ever. lifes a roller coaster. dont force yourself to feel different than how you should. you gotta experience the bad to experience the good. i dont care who you are, this is true for everyone
|

replied January 10th, 2013
im on my second day without it....30yr old female, been smoking since 18...chronicaly and i find that im awake for a very long time, tossing and turning and having vivid dreams too. Im so scared to relapse, but this time its for good...i really wanna stop to have a clearer perspective on life. I've also been extreme depression b/c my man of 5years just left me.
|

replied May 23rd, 2013
Can't sleep need help thanks
I'm a college freshie that has to quit over summer and like staples550 smoked constantly. Not one or two hits out of a pipe more like 10-15 bowls out of a bong as well as a couple of dabs (6 is my daily max I found) I just moved back home where my parental units instilled a zero tolerance policy. It's been 2 days and I can't sleep yet when I do I have nightmares about my ex and I wake up all sweaty and disgusting, I even woke up yelling at the top of my lungs then went back to sleep and had the same dream. All I care about is sleeping at the moment cause its starting to affect my job performance. Any suggestions?
|

replied July 1st, 2013
Stopping weed
I'm Tom 25 from uk and am in bed looking up what to do if you can't sleep while quittin weed an it's so hard, ur just awake the whole time and sometimes your actually really tired but still active in the head! You just got to push through it and not try, this will affect work so may be an idea to take a couple of days off with a few mates away as this is the best solution Iv found the last time I quit, it's the environment you are in that doesn't help, if u try to sleep in the same place ur us dally stoned your mind won't rest! Apart of me like everyone one else that smokes is saying shall I just roll one up or go get some just for tonight, but don't, stay strong it's just a phase ur head needs to get to grips with.. Basically it's like putting Vaseline on ur lips when there dry, if u use it evey day ur body will get used to this added oil ur putting on and stop creating its own.. So you will have dry lips for a whole after using it :/ may not make sence lol... Man I need a spliff lol .. Just think stuff it il stay awake all night then if u won't let me sleep and just lay there.. Ul just wake up the next day .... After a few days I hope it gets Easyer and I'm sure it will but then you will see different sides to ur personallity that you forgot or never new I had untill now and ur confidence will come back slowely .. Inputs nice knowing there's other people in the same boats I guess..
|

replied April 8th, 2014
True mate..
I also smoked the last 5-6 years almost every day. I quit for about 1.5 years before I came to study in the netherlands. When i came here i said to myself that i am not going to start smoking again, but it happenend and i started to smoke again every day. Now it's day 7 without and still hard to sleep but it's better with every day and when i wake up I am still more fit then after nights of smoking.
So guys just stay clean Razz
|

replied July 9th, 2013
health over zoot
guess what. I too have recently given up smoking weed and Googled, is insomnia a withdrawal symptom at 2am after hours of failed sleep. I smoked for 9 years and now im 24. I used to be a heavy smoker but over the last couple cut down to one joint a day more on weekends. i only smoked cigarettes when drunk because I wanted a zoot, so iv been cold turkey now for only 5 days. I'm not craving a joint because im done with all the fuss but finding it hard to sleep. My mood is fine, a little quiet because im tired but nothing noticeable. One holiday I was without weed for a month and after insomnia comes the crazy dreams which is like a double edged sword. dreaming is fantastic, which is usually inhibited while stoned but these are strong. let's see how it goes if I can ever sleep! my appetite for carbs, cheese and sugar has increased but im just gonna deal with it and nit eat (that I can control, just about) gonna wake up early and work out tomo. One day at a time. mind over matter may the force be with you
|

replied July 30th, 2013
determined to get through this
I too stumbled across this site while lying awake on yet another night.
I'm 10 days into quitting weed, and I found the first few days were pretty good, but gradually my sleeps gotten worse and worse. It's not falling asleep that I'm finding hard, it's staying asleep. Usually I wake 3 to 5 hours after and find it very hard to drop back off then.
I smoked weed for 20 years, anywhere from 3 to 10 joints daily (depending on if I was working that day or not). I always had one last joint before bed and never have had problems sleeping.
Just recently at my work they have introduced random drug tests and there have been some people sacked, I cannot lose my job or I lose my home and everything I have. With the stakes being so high I have no choice but to quit.
To "help" me with the craving for weed I have been smoking a few cigarettes a night, I had stopped smoking them completely about 6 months ago, but don't smoke at all during the day. I do also drink alcohol, anywhere from 2 to 4 cans of beer, some days I don't drink at all.
I'm not yet at the point where I'm getting no sleep at all, but I've noticed I'm sleeping for shorter intervals now and waking up.
I have had some incredibly vivid dreams the last few nights, not nightmares as such, just very weird ones.
Smoking weed again isn't an option, so I won't be having "just one to help me sleep", just got to get through this.
I find it encouraging reading people's experiences on here and knowing I'm not alone and there is a way through this difficult time. If others can do it, so can I.
Thanks for sharing your experiences on here, they are helping me to be strong, I will beat this and live my life free of weed.
|

replied September 1st, 2013
Marijuana as a sleep aid?
Coming at this from a different angle. I don't smoke weed, haven't since I was 15. HOWEVER...

I've had a chronic problem with insomnia my whole life. (as did everyone on my fathers side of the family) I've been through every prescription pill, now the Dr. won't give me ambien (worried about the cardiac arrest + ambien studies) Ambien never really worked that well anyway, it was more like popping a pill and not remembering if you slept or not.

I've lost 3 jobs because I couldn't sleep, I've drifted off at the wheel because I hadn't slept for 2 days (you can kill someone that way...), lost out on many opportunities just because I never knew when I'd be able to sleep. This, IMO, is insane.

So, I'm considering marijuana as a sleep aid. (it's sort of a last resort) I don't want to be addicted, I don't want to potentially make it even harder than it already is to sleep, should that option be removed (ex: to pass a drug test or live in a place where it's illegal) I've been told that pot is an effective way to get to sleep. I've also been told it's terrible with rebound effects.

Is there a safer way to use pot as a sleep aid?

Odd as it sounds, I really don't want the euphoria because I believe it could be psychologically addictive.
|

replied September 19th, 2013
Seems just like the vast majority posting on here ( and those just reading with no comments to make)
I'm a 42 yr old male I've been smoking one joint a night for the past 27 nights and really carnt remember missing a day.
Sleeping is a joke. I don't work due to looking after my disabled son. Have a smoke was my reward. Going to bed was bliss and laying the stoned was a feeling that I do miss. ( after the tub of ice cream and box of cakes)
For no apparent reason other than the fact I just decided I want to quit ( I'm strong willed and think I can achieve anything)
I'm on day six and maaaaann it's hard to get to sleep . I do get to sleep it generally takes 2-3 hours but last about the same length of time.
I've never read so much but noticed that if I can I go to bed for an hour or so in the day and I sleep like a baby.
I'm so glad I've found this page and no the reasons I'm awake so much. Knowing in time I will create a good sleep pattern is just part of the quitting proses.
Hearing so many people state the weed isn't addictive kinda makes me chuckle I've certainly had an addiction but thankfully has no bad withdrawal effects ( other than the sleep problem) I've been so tempted to go build a joint but really don't want to the 10 bag can just rotten away in my draw. Having it in my little room kinda helps. I've also been temped to take a 3mg tab of melatonin that my son takes as a prescribed drug but after reading previous comments I figure I may as we'll have a joint if gonna start on the tabs so will just sit back n tolerate no sleep.
Actually getting tired writing here. So bid you all good night
Keep it up guys and don't forget your comments are helping others in there fight to quit.
Jay
|

Seems just like the vast majority posting on here ( and those just reading with no comments to make)
I'm a 42 yr old male I've been smoking one joint a night for the past 27 nights and really carnt remember missing a day.
Sleeping is a joke. I don't work due to looking after my disabled son. Have a smoke was my reward. Going to bed was bliss and laying the stoned was a feeling that I do miss. ( after the tub of ice cream and box of cakes)
For no apparent reason other than the fact I just decided I want to quit ( I'm strong willed and think I can achieve anything)
I'm on day six and maaaaann it's hard to get to sleep . I do get to sleep it generally takes 2-3 hours but last about the same length of time.
I've never read so much but noticed that if I can I go to bed for an hour or so in the day and I sleep like a baby.
I'm so glad I've found this page and no the reasons I'm awake so much. Knowing in time I will create a good sleep pattern is just part of the quitting proses.
Hearing so many people state the weed isn't addictive kinda makes me chuckle I've certainly had an addiction but thankfully has no bad withdrawal effects ( other than the sleep problem) I've been so tempted to go build a joint but really don't want to the 10 bag can just rotten away in my draw. Having it in my little room kinda helps. I've also been temped to take a 3mg tab of melatonin that my son takes as a prescribed drug but after reading previous comments I figure I may as we'll have a joint if gonna start on the tabs so will just sit back n tolerate no sleep.
Keep it up guys and don't forget your comments are helping others in there fight to quit.
Jay
|

Jay
|

replied December 16th, 2013
Help
I've been smoking everyday for the past 3 years. usually 1-3 bowls before bed. Recently I've decided to quit to make my mom happy. I'm 20 by the way.
For the past couple of nights it's been impossible to sleep. Most of the night i just toss and turn. I just end up frustrated lol because i have 6am and usually end up falling asleep around 5am. I just end up crazy tired at work.
ive tired everything from warm milk to teas and even tried sleeping pills(never doing it again). I need something totally different. I'm willing to try anything as long as its safe. if anyways has a different idea thats worked for them please let a fellow ex(for now) pothead know.
jayMore
|

replied April 8th, 2014
Why do you do it to make your mom happy? Thats the most stupid thing I have ever read. Do it for yourself. Guys try to read a book it helps and makes your eyes tired!
|

replied July 5th, 2014
trying to stop a huge weed habit..
I have been smashing in 'buckets' of smoke for the past 15 years.. i'm 32 and yes ''buckets'' IE: a 2 litre bottle cut off at the bottom, put in water and used to nail massive loads... not 2-3 bowls a night but 2-3 bowls per bucket!!

As this has gone on throughout the years, I have built up a tolerance to smoking this way (to the point my friends nickname me ''Ironlung'')

Now, I have for years said that weed isn't addictive and that giving up was easy.. I have been without for long periods.. But... Lately when I have been without it for say (a afternoon) I struggle so much trying to sleep at nights, to the point of I interrupt my girlfriend's sleep by rolling around for hours!!

I have tried reading in bed, but I hit catch 22 when I can't be arsed to read because im not stoned.. (until George R Martin writes a new volume to ''A Song of ice and fire''...

Ps.. Booze doesn't help, it only makes your mind want weed more... Smile
|