Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Quick weight loss (Page 1)

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
User Profile
Is it okay to lose over 15 pounds in a month at 5'5'? My doctor told me that I was overweight. I weigh now 120, and was 135 when she told me that. I do not eat breakfast nor lunch, but do not lose like most people. What is wrong with me?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2009
Weight Loss Answer A8190
Hi,
Thanks for posting on the ehealthforum. Ideally one should not lose more than 7-9 pounds in a month as per the guidelines and you have lost the weight a little faster and it’s not good as the body is not able to adjust to such rapid weight changes since the body’s metabolism rate is adjusted to the body weight.

You should get your thyroid hormone levels checked as poorly functioning thyroid (hypothyroidism) also contributes to the development of weight gain.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.