Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Quick fix for high blood pressure?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
User Profile
I have a doctor's appointment today at 5:00pm (in 5 hours). Does anyone know of a quick treatment I can do / eat that will help lower my blood pressure for when I go? I hate going to the doctor's because my blood pressure is normal when I'm home, but everytime I go to the doctor's it gets higher (around 120/80 when home; around 135/90 at doctor's). She's even taken it at the beginning and at the end of the appointment and sometimes it helps a little, but not enough to make her happy.

Any quick suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

Miranda
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you been suggested a 24-hour monitoring for your blood pressure?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Yeah. I've done that. Actually, my blood pressure was normal yesterday. But I did get diagnosed with PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome). Apparently it was the birth control pills that were causing the high blood pressure. And now that I've been off them for 3 months, my blood pressure is normal. Now I just have to deal with PCOS.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
There is no need to worry if your blood pressure results show increased values, since your doctor is familiar with your white coat syndrome.
If you really want to stay calm, and the monitor to show normal values of blood pressure, than you can take some natural supplements with anxiolitic (lessening the anxious feeling) potent, like Valerian root tablets, before going to her office.
It's good to know that even the raised blood pressure in white coat syndrome, that is brief, situational "accident", still, increases the risk of cardiovascular problems.
BCPs will rarely cause a woman with normal blood pressure to become hypertensive, but, occasionally aggravate pre-existing high blood pressure.
Stopping their use or switching to other type of BC, usually, solve the high blood pressure problem.
|

replied December 16th, 2008
White coat syndrome
Hi,

Does this really exists? Every time I get my BP checked at the doctor's or when I give blood it's always high. When I monitor it at home, it's normal or even a little low.

Thanks
|