Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Quick bipolar diagnosis ?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
how can i get a quick diagnis for bipolar i'm so sure i have it, it was suggested a few years back by psychiatrist but i dropped out of care and have managed somehow but it's getting exhausting and i know i need help soon. can my doctor diagnose me or do i have to wait for referral? just want to start feeling more normal soon...

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2010
Bipolar Disorder Answer A10907
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the Bipolar disorder diagnosed in 2006 and treatment discontinued by you after 2 weeks of therapy.
As you have described, you have multiple problems including substance abuse with heroin in past and marijuana now along with past relationship issues for which you are attending some counselling sessions. Multiple studies have demonstrated a negative impact of substance abuse on clinical outcomes in patients with bipolar disorder. Some of the characteristics of bipolar disorder, such as impulsivity, poor judgment, and excessive involvement in pleasurable activities, predispose to the development of substance abuse disorders. Substance abuse is associated with more mixed depressive-manic episodes, increased frequency of mood swings, and more hospitalizations in bipolar patients currently abusing substances than in bipolar patients without substance abuse disorders. You must see your physician promptly who may refer you to a psychiatrist for establishing the diagnosis of bipolar disorder and deciding the course for further management in view of coexisting substance abuse.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.