Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Pyelonephritis... still? Should I see my doctor again?

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I was recently (2weeks ago) admitted to hospital for acute pyelonephritis with sepsis, and having been discharged 3 days later was given a 10 day course of antibiotics to complete, which I did. Towards the end of that course I developed severe tonsillitis, for which I was given another course of antibiotics, however I am noticing returning flank and back pain and wondering if my kidney infection is still there (no other symptoms e.g. fever). Should I see my doctor again, or hope that the new antibiotics will finish it off for good?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2017
Conditions like pyelonephritis can sometimes persist for a long time and can also result in scarring which can cause persistent pain.

Recurrent infections which present as pain is also common in the course of this condition.

It would be best that you complete the course of antibiotics and also use pain medications to manage the pain. If the blood tests and ultrasound done indicate improvement, then you may be getting better.

Consult your doctor who can help clear your concerns.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.