Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Purging without binging ?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
A couple years ago my family started to fall apart because of my grandma and uncle dying. My dad became depressed for a while, and my mom refused to let us talk about any of it. When I was in 8th grade I became depressed and wanted to kill myself because i felt like I had no one to talk to. In 9th grade I went to boarding school, everything was fine for a while, but recently things have been spinning out of control. I have been forcing myself to throw up everything I eat. I know that purging is a part of bulimia, but I don't binge, and i haven't been doing it for that long. I don't know what to do about any of this. I can't talk to my parents, and I don't have enough time to see any type of therpist because my school is really time consuming.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2009
Experienced User
Try and sort out the reasons you are struggling with this. Are you uncomfortable with your weight? Are you trying to get attention? Is your family life hard and disruptive? Do you get enough time with your mom and dad? Do they show you adequate affection?
All these questions can help you look behind the problem, and depending on if you are willing enough, can help you stop this purging altogether. Good luck and stay safe!
|

replied April 26th, 2009
i am suffering from this too. it is hard because it is not recognised by doctors as an eating disorder so there is less help available to us - and there is less chance of being 'found out' because we don't binge.

if you are at boarding school, do you have a school nurse you could go to?

Do you have a friend you could confide in? i have just spoken to one of my housemates - someone who i trust and who i know will understand.

i'm sorry i don't really know what to say, i feel like i am in the same situation.., but even thoough you don't binge you are stillll suffering just as much and you're also in danger of slipping into bulimia or anorexia even. so please confide in someone so that at least they can look out for you.

i dont really think the post above is helpful because it is not really about being 'willing enough' you cant do it on your own

i will be with you (in spirit)!

xx
|

replied February 18th, 2011
purging disorder
I kind of have the same problem. I have been purging off and on for about a year. I never thought it was anything I really had to deal with since I was eating and I wasn't binging. I didn't think it was a disorder. It seems like lately it has started to feed into a lot of other issues though, like depression and cutting. I also lack family support since I have a sister with a serious mental illness and my parents have been wrapped up in that for a long time, I know she needs more of the help since she canâ??t work and has to live with them. No one really knew about any of my issues until recently when I told my best friend. Sheâ??s in South America right now but demanded I see someone. Like you Iâ??m not sure how I can do this because I work full time and itâ??s really difficult to take time off. I see this post is almost a year old, maybe you were able to figure something out? Or can give some advice to someone who is just starting to look into getting help. Thanks
|

replied July 24th, 2013
Did you ever go and see anyone about what you were going through? If so, I'd really like to know the outcome. I realise you wrote this 2 years ago, but if you see this, a reply would be really important to me.
|