Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Purging through exercise

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Does any one here purge through exercise? I tend to try to burn the calories that I have eaten by running and burning 700-750 calories. Is that considered purging? If I don't do that I feel really guilty. Is that considered a type of bulimia? Even if I don't binge?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
That was how my anorexia began. I purged everything I ate through exercise, but I never did binge, I ate normal meals, sometimes a bit less than normal (but I ate a lot more than others with anorexia tend to eat, it's just I purged it all through extreme exercise). There is also a classification for ED-NOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified); I think I fell under the anorexia definition because my weight was so low.
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2008
Supporter
hii
Yes, I suppose you do have the start of an eating disorder, seeing as your exercise is used to lose everything. Your body needs some of what your burning off, so when you work of everything its almost as if you havent eaten anything. You need to either eat a bit more, or exercise less.

I hope you can maintain a healthy weight and stay healthy

all the best, Natz .x.
|

replied August 21st, 2008
Enough calories
Well it's not like I'm burning off everything that I am eating. When I subtract the number of calories that I burn from the ones that I eat it's about 1000 calories. So I am getting enough in (I think).
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2008
Supporter
hii
But the fact yuu are consciously doing this cud lead to an eating disorder. If you carry on you will get worse in this cycle nd it will get obsessive and you will begin to burn more calories than you need and if your exercising that much you need atleast 1500 calories to maintain healthy. Akthough things seem okaii at the moment, after a while it will take a toll on your body .x.
|

replied August 31st, 2008
Yes that could be considered purging. There's athletes who burn alot of calories with exercise too (That swimmer Phelps needs to eat 12000 calories a day and hardly keeps the weight on...omg) but you're obsessively exercising with solely the goal of burning those calories, feeling like you /have/ to burn those 750 calories or else...
It's not the exercise itself that can be called purging. Phelps is not purging or exercising just to burn calories, he's just doing his thing as a swimmer because he loves to. It's your attitude and it can lead to an obsessive ED. requiring you to burn more and more and more until something goes wrong (joint damage because of excessive jogging for example).

Exercising to be healthy is good, find a sport that you like and makes you feel good.
Exercising for 3 hours non stop and calorie obsessed is really bad and can get worse. You could try talking to a nutritionist or fitness expert to get some right information about how to stay in good shape.
|
Users who thank LouiseT for this post: NoMoreTears 

replied April 24th, 2013
Some days, I eat nothing, then go to the gym and burn 1000 to 1500 calories. Other days, I will have a net caloric intake of negative 10 to negative 400 calories. Then there are the rare days I eat normally (typically 1000+ calories), and the more numerous days during which I restrict to below a certain number (400-800, 800 being very rare and usually accompanied with attempts at purging). That is what recently earned me the diagnosis of "anorexic with bulimic tendencies."
|
Quick Reply