Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Punching self

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
User Profile
Hello

I thought i should metion this because i cannot stop it,when ever i think of something sad,something i do not like,something embaressing,or something i did not want to happen i tend to bite my self or punch myself really hard in the skull.i can't stop it,it has become a habit i now do it at least every hour or every half hour.

Just today i thought of something sad and hit puched myself really hard in the skull causing a noise simerlar to knocking on a door,One time i hit my forehead with my mobile phone to get rid of these thoughts.

Now i have a reallt sore head and bumps everywhere the problem is i can't stop it,one time i got so annoyed i cut myself and i have multiable cuts on my arm,My head is really sore now with lots of bumps everywhere please help me!

Also i am to scared to tell my mam as what am i surposed to say ' oh mam by the way i hurt myself...i dont want to..not toanyone she will just think i am mad' i tried to tell her but she told me to stopbeingsilly

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2010
Self Injury Answer A9065
Hello.

This behavior might be a bit difficult to change. You will need a lot of perseverance to change it. But first you need to know why you do it.

Whenever you are faced with something you don't like, your mind cannot cope up with it. As a result, anxiety builds up inside you and the psychological pain needs a vent. Usually people talk to others, friends, family, etc., to get rid of this pain. In your case, you have conditioned your body to inflict physical pain. When you hit yourself, or cut yourself, your body produces natural pain killers (endogenous opioids such as endorphins) which then numb the pain. These endogenous opioids also work to numb the psychological pain. Thus the anxiety created by events you don't like, is reduced. Your body has gotten used to this. You can change it by modifying your way of inflicting pain on yourself. You could start pinching yourself instead of hitting or cutting. If you can do this, you will be able to further reduce the self-injurious behavior.

Talk to your parents about it. Let your teacher know with an understanding of confidentiality. And most importantly, take help of a therapist if you can.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Self Injury , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.