Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Pulsating in abdomen

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
21-year old male. I have a pretty strong pulsating in my abdomen that is not painful in and of itself, but it is very noticeable when lying down. When I'm reading a book on my abdomen, it bounces. I am not thin (6'0 and 205 pounds). I have billiary dyskinesia and some degree of anxiety, but that's the extent of my medical history. When I had a CT for my gallbladder just 5 months ago, it showed no abdominal aortic ectasia, so it seems that would rule out any chance of an aneurysm. I also had a couple of a-OK abdominal ultrasounds for the gallbladder; I'm assuming these would look at something like that too?

Is this pulsating normal for someone who's not thin? I lost about 25 pounds recently (was 230 pounds), so is this just making the aortic pulse more prevalent? I ask because I've recently had some lower abdominal discomfort (lower than the gallbladder), and I just want to rest easy in knowing it's probably gallbladder related.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A11095
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the strong pulsations in the abdomen having lost 25 pounds recently. You also have a history of biliary dyskinesia and anxiety.
There are few causes of abdominal pulsations and the most feared of all is abdominal aortic aneurysm which seems to have been ruled out in your case by normal abdominal CT report. The other causes of abdominal pulsations include thin abdominal wall, hypertension, high cholesterol, obesity, smoking, emphysema, intestinal obstruction etc. As far as the lower abdominal discomfort is concerned, there are no. of causes for the same including urinary retention, acute appendicitis, renal colic, pain of obstruction of small intestine which is usually peri umbilical. The radiation of pain to the lower lumbar region is common in obstruction of colon.
The symptoms of pulsations and lower abdominal discomfort might be related and may be due to subacute intestinal obstruction and the possibility if the same must be considered and ruled out. You must consult your doctor for the same.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.