Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Pulling sensation in throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi - every now again, maybe a few times a year I get this 'thing' with my throat. Its pretty hard to describe so pls bear with me. It feels like something at the very very back left hand side of my tongue gets stuck between a muscle or something down my throat. It is quite painful and more so if I stretch my neck up or back or in the opposite direction. Swallowing is particularly painful as it feels like its tugging on something. The only ways I've found to 'unpop' it (that's what it feels like) is to either stretch my neck in the opposite direction and also stretch my tongue at the same time or quickly drink a load of lemonade which gives me gas so I can literally burp it out. Sounds crazy but true. However I've just had it again now and it was stuck for a long time. It is now out but my throat area is still painful. I've been to Dr's but they look at me like I'm mad when I try to explain. I'd appreciate any help at all.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 5th, 2011
Very strange swollen/pulling sensation in my neck and throat.
I have the exact same thing...started a few hours ago. REally no reason for it...only thing I can think is that I pushed too hard today too soon after my strep throat infection. Im on day 4 of my meds...but it feels like in the front and center where my adams apple is sort of and then all the way back to the left where my tongue and throat sort of connect....it feels like I have something in my throat sort of and its painful. very strange. I tooke 4 advil and it did nothing for the inflammation...sucks. Im gonna try to hot pack it and see if it gets better. Hoping a good nights rest will remedy this little situation b/c it sucks.
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Pulling feeling in throat.
Hi, I've had this also several times in my life. I'm 43 and recently it's been happening almost daily for months. It's not super painful, but rather annoying. I think it has to do with how I sleep. I bunch up pillows under my head while sleeping on my left side. I can't sleep on my right due to shoulder issues, and being very fat keeps me from sleeping on my back or stomach. I haven't spoken to a doctor about it yet, but I'm going to soon. I'm sorry that others are going through this too, but at least I don't feel alone or nuts anymore.

Thanks.
|