Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Pulling back intact foreskin

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
I'm 19 years old and while growing up I never had heard of pulling back the foreskin. Only recently I started reading around about health issues and came across people talking about their foreskin and about pulling it back before putting a condom on or having sex or to wash. I have noticed that my penis has an odor sometimes but not sure if it has to do with my foreskin. I kinda tried to pull it back the other day but got scared. First of all I don't know how far you're supposed to pull it back, how you're supposed to, or what it looks like when you do. The worst part about this all is that I read that after you pull it back its possible that it can get caught behind the glans and you would have to go to emergency right away. This sounds frightening and makes me not want to ever pull it back. what are your guys thoughts on this? thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Okay, first off, you pull it back to just behind the head of the penis. You will need to do this CAREFULLY and slowly because it is your first time. If you find that it is difficult at all to do, DO NOT attempt any further. Because, yes the foreskin CAN get stuck. Now, you can "unstick" it, I have had to do it with my son a few times. "Unsticking" it involves a bit of lotion or baby oil applied to the glans and the foreskin and gentle manuver of it back over the glans. If that does not work, then you need to go to the ER. You SHOULD pull it back, if there is a smell down there, it most likely is caused by smegma, a natural oil-like secretion that looks a bit like lotion that gets stuck at the top of the lotion tube and comes out...kinda yellowish and pasty. Pulling back the foreskin is good hygiene. I am surprised that you were never taught how to do it. But its all good. A personal question=when you get hard, does your foreskin roll back on its own? The reason I ask this is because usually, a man does NOT have to pull his foreskin back to put a condom on. You put a condom on when you are fully erect, and I have never heard of a fully erect uncircumcised man having to pull back his foreskin. It just rolls back on its own. If yours does not do this, I suggest you may want to make a doctor appt because it could be a sign of phimosis, an unusual tightening of the foreskin that needs to be checked into as it can cause pain with sex, can cause the foreskin to become trapped behind the glans, can cause tears of the frenulum, the little "string" that attaches the foreskin to the glans on the underside of the penis.
|

thanks!!!! when I get hard my foreskin doesn't pull back, well it definitely doesn't pull back like all the way.. but I can see the end of my penis and everything when I'm hard. so you're saying that when men put condoms on .. their foreskin automatically rolls back? I've only tried on a condom on once and don't remember that happening. I hardly even tried to pull back the skin the other day because I did think it might be tight..... Do you think I should just go to the doctor and ask him about all this??? Thanks
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
No not when they put condoms on...when they get erections. The foreskin is supposed to naturally go back behind the head of your penis when you become erect.
|

replied October 27th, 2008
Hey thanks for your reply. I must have really tight foreskin. my foreskin has never rolled back naturally from becoming erect. I'm gonna start practicing stretching but I have a question. If my foreskin did get caught behind the glans, would it hurt a lot? what would it feel like? I'm worried about that.
|

replied October 27th, 2008
Hey, I have the same problem. I'm 20 and have never been able to pull my foreskin back over the head of my penis, erect or otherwise. When I shower i clean in there as much as possible so that isn't too much of an issue, although i'm sure it's not as effective as it could be.

I've heard of stretching the skin which does make sense and i'm going to try it, but the one reason i doubt it could work is because the frenulum just seems so short, that even if my foreskin stretched enough to fit back over the head, i think the frenulum just wouldn't allow it to go far enough.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I am a woman so I have no idea if it would hurt or not. ryan420, if your frenulum is too short, you need to see a doctor. That is a medical problem and it can be fixed.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
hey.my foreskin is always errected,evenehen its normal and quiet the foreskin doesnot intact.i.m 22 years and anxious to join defence service. will this create any problem?
|

replied January 29th, 2012
see a urologist asap if you are that old and have never pulled your foreskin back. I began when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I am trying to get my son used to trying to pull it back and he's only 4 -- You have to get that clean under the skin or you can get infections
|

replied April 24th, 2013
DO NOT try to get your child to force his foreskin back further than it will go! A boys foreskin is fused to the head of his penis like a nail to a finger and releases that fuse gradually over the first years of his life. Often it doesn't become fully retractable until they are 9 or 10. Forcing it back can be the cause of scar tissue forming and infections so leave it alone, it does NOT need to be retracted to clean it when they are young. Of course once it is fully retractable it is good hygiene to pull it back and wash with water alone, no soap is necessary as it can disrupt the natural flora that exist on the glans.
|

replied November 29th, 2013
Hey i'm 28 and I am uncircumcised I cant retract my foreskin over the head the ring is so tight it has become irritating to jack off or have sex what can I do to loosen up the ring so I can retract my foreskin i'm dear need of help
|

replied December 4th, 2013
Community Volunteer
|