Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Pulling a second molar

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I had a cavity filled (very large) about 2 1/2 years ago. My dentist said we need to keep an eye on it over the next couple of years. Well, it's giving me problems now. Looking at a tooth diagram, the tooth is a second molar. I would guess about 40% of the tooth is a big filling (maybe slightly less, but it's the biggest filling I've ever had). On the back side of the tooth below the gum line, a few months ago, a lesion or blister-like spot formed. I didn't really have any pain associated with the onset of the lesion. On occasion, after brushing my teeth, the lesion would subside (I assume I compromised the lesion as I would spit blood). It wouldn't take much for it to come back though. In the last few days I have a great deal of pain at the tooth. The tooth is noticeably loose too. At the onset of the pain a few days ago, I also had pain at the glands immediatetly below the tooth when I pressed under my chin. I have very little to no pain when I wake up in the morning (assuming I don't chew food on that side of my mouth). All that said, here's my question...unfortunately I can't currently afford to have a dentist fix this problem. Assuming I can endure the pain, what complications may I have if I choose to pull the tooth myself?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 26th, 2009
Tooth problem
I have the exact same problem, what did you do? I saw a dentist last week who wouldn't take my word for it that i knew what tooth was causing the pain and she thinks its the wisdom tooth behind and doesn't want to pull out the bad tooth. Might just do it myself to save time and money but if you did that did you have any problems?
|

replied May 26th, 2009
Experienced User
Infected tooth can lead to loss of the tooth (duh) and the infection can spread to: the jaw bone, the soft tissue (look up "facial cellulitis"), your heart, your lungs, and your brain. Still don't think you can afford to go to the dentist? Can you afford a long hospital stay? Or worse?

Go find a dental school that will give you a crown or pull the tooth for a lower price. Otherwise, find a dentist that will work out a payment plan with you. Don't let this go. It will not get better on it's own. The longer you wait, the more it's going to cost. As it is, you've probably let it go long enough that you need a root canal, rather than just a crown. Wait longer and you'll need more than that.
|

replied March 16th, 2010
lydia32 is right. i have a cousin who was in the same position. the infection went into his lungs and then was in a coma for almost 3 months. was a very scary time for him and our family. however, now he is doing okay. not 100% but he's alive. he does have a huge scar across his neck bc of all of this. he went through a lot. it was a crazy time.

sad thing is.. i'm having the same problem now. no dental insurance.. i've been wiggling, pulling, pushing and still have this tooth in my jaw. it is irritating and annoys me a lot.

in california we have low cost or no cost services but i'm in the wrong county or they are way too far and in the worse of neighborhoods i wouldnt even send my worse enemy there.

so here i sit searching for various ways to extract this tooth. maybe i should go to canada. i know they would do it for me. =o) (that was a joke) i love the USA!
|

replied April 9th, 2010
Go to UCSF in san francisco, they have a dental clinic. its low cost or FREE like 80 bucks for a consultation and then 150 for extraction. I have an appintment on tuesday to pull my back lower right rotten molar. ITs in pieces and falling apart, theyre gona have to dig, good thing il be under anastethia
200 dollars is not that much money, especially if you are on the internet you must be able to save this kind of money.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Cost
The cheapest work by a dental assistent is cleaning of the teeth which is around $35-45, the next cheapest work is an extraction done by the dentist which is $78-140... If you guys cant afford root canal to save ur tooth then just have them pulled OUT asap.

Tip: if you cant afford it then the best thing to do is to find a dental school where students practice on others and you'll get the best deal or get PPO Iinsurance but it'll start after 6 months of registration and with insurance you have to be very careful and ask every question, i suggest first calling the dental office where you want to go. Private dental offices are typically much more expensive than say smilecare even if you do have insurance in most cases. In every city there are towns where the cost of living are lower and the costs of some dental or family healthcare is lower also which are sponsored and if you meet their standards or unemployed then they'll accept you under homeless, but you must tell them you move from house to house every 2 months to qaulify ( dont feel bad if you're unemployed ). However, the treatments are limited. Root canals and implants or crowns wont be free unless paid for, but the price is 70% lesser than private dental offices. They will cover Free X-rays, free clean up, free extractions and many more minor procedures. If you dont meet the qualifications or if its still too expensive then you should do a payment plan with them because your situation will defenitly worsen. Lastly, never ever be scared of needle shots because the shots are your best friend, without needle shots to your gums you will be in extreme pain. The good news is that they will put on a jell on the area of surgery so the gums can get numb before they apply the shot ( you can also ask for more jell, in all honesty you wont even feel a pinch, its just the thought that scares people. And, when they start the surgery, if for some reason you are in alot of pain then you can also ask for another shot also ( never hesitate ) which will further decrease any discomfort or pain. Just raise you hand ! Good luck and DO NOT ignore the dental office
|

replied April 2nd, 2012
Hi I am 12 and it is my second molar tooth loose. What do i do? Is it normal?
|