Medical Questions > Mens Health > Erectile Dysfunction Forum

Psychological Erectile Dysfunction

Must Read
10% of men experience erectile dyfunction. When does a penis become erect? And what is ED? Start here for ED basics....
Can other medical conditions causes erection problems? Here we review the many potential causes of erectile dysfunction. ...
If you can't achieve an erection or control ejaculation, you might have Erectile Dysfunction. But what primary ED symptoms should you look for?...
User Profile
Hi, I'm 27, I have been dating the same woman for almost a year, and I am unable to keep an erection, and when I do, it's not a very firm one. I have tried taking zinc supplements, and this helps with my libido, but not so much with erections. When making out or during foreplay, a get pretty substantial erections (I also get firm erections during my sleep), but when intercourse comes on, I lose it. I have only had one other partner, and my current girlfriend is quite a bit more experienced than I am. I am very worried about pleasing her for some reason. Of course I can't be sure, but I believe this to be a chronic case of psychological erectile dysfunction. She has been very patient, and it seems like I have tried everything, short of prescribed medication. Are there any other remedies you might be able to suggest besides sex therapy? Can medication be prescribed to someone with psychological erectile dysfunction? Your help would be appreciated, thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2009
Erectile Dysfunction Answer A8710
Hello.

Yes, medications have been used with a certain amount of success even in people with psychological ED. But still, therapy remains to be the best way out.

What you could try is combining both medicines and therapy, and then taper off the medicines slowly.

I would like to add here one thing that I find could be a major factor in your ED. You seem to have a pressure of performance. That could create anxiety during the actual performance. If pleasing your partner is the primary aim, you could use other methods such as foreplay, to get to the point where you can start intercourse.

Medicines will not help you in the long run if you don't combine them with therapy. Find out some more information about 'Sensate Focus' and see if you can apply that.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Erectile Dysfunction , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.