Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

Prostatitis and infertility

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
doctor said i m infected with (prostatis)

after having sex i m getting burning sensation in my penis and itching also after passing the urine.

my doubt is there any problem fertilization (means pregency)

guide me correct info...............

thank u anil (INDIA)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2009
Prostate Answer A6781

Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate. Depending on the severity, it might be acute prostatitis, chronic prostatitis, and chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Aside from the last mentioned, the first two are caused by bacteria. If untreated, acute prostatitis might turn into chronic prostatitis. Both the acute and the chronic form are closely related to urinary tract infections.

Actually, in most cases, the prostate inflammation is caused by a urinary tract infection which has affected the prostate tissue as well. The prostatitis itself is not known as a cause for infertility, but if the infection is left untreated it might spread to other reproductive organs including the testicles (orchitis) and the epididymis (epididymitis). If untreated, these conditions might cause infertility. However, this is rare because the signs of advanced infection are easily detected and the treatment, which usually uses antibiotics, is usually given in time.

However, if you want to be sure about your fertility, you might want to visit a urologist after the treatment is completed and ask for a spermogram which counts the number of spermatozoids in the semen as well as their viability and potential for fertilization.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.