Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Poisoning and Environmental Health Forum

propane poisoning?

My husband and I were living in a house with a propane leak, he was working 12 hour days, and I was home most of the day. Of course we had no idea at the time there was a leak. I began having violent seizures, I lost my memory, short term and long term, since I had no form of health insurance, the doctors pretty much told me I was crazy and would not try to help me figure out what was wrong. I got to the point where I could not even remember who my husband or even my own parents were. When my mother went online and looked up my symptoms they all pointed to some form of a gas leak, turns out, there was a one inch hole in our propane line. I had been sitting in a house full of propane for about 2 months. The propane company argues with me and says that there is no possible way that could have been the problem. However, as soon as the leak was fixed, I began feeling better, I still have problems remembering things, and my friends and family says I am not the same person I used to be since this happend. Can anyone tell me if this leak was the problem. Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Maria898
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I would say there is a possibility.

Did the gas company fix the leak? You have medical documentation of your symptoms? Family and friends noticed the change, before, during and afterwards?

If the gas company fixed the leak then they are aware that a problem existed.

Did your husband have any symptoms, ever so small?

~Zig
|

replied December 21st, 2010
Gas posioning
I have a first cousin her personality started changing and everyone said ah that just runs in the family. She has been having headaches, her pitutary gland is swelled up and she cant remember issues that some one could tell her something and 2 days later she would forget about it. Today they check her house for propane leaks and she has been living in her house with a propane gas leak and this has messed her up bad. This friend has always been a spotless house keepers and it completely changed this girl. I wanting to know since the gas company got the leak stopped will she return to her ordinary self. She has lived in the propane for 2 or more years, Thanks Yoty
|

replied March 24th, 2011
Leaking Gas
I, too, have lived in a house with leaking propane for 4 long years. Yes, leaking gas can definitely cause memory loss, extreme fatigue, headaches, stomachaches, and so much more. I ought to know because I have personally experienced it. When we finally discovered the leaking water heater and replaced it, my headaches disappeared and my energy levels increased dramatically.
|

replied September 21st, 2011
I have been ill for 20 years, since we moved into our new house. I became sicker, physically and psychologically as the years passed. Hundreds of doctors had no clue and I was labeled neurotic by many. I even got a doctorate to help myself and nothing worked.

Just found out there was a propane leak in the house since day one. It's only been fixed for 2 months, and I am still feeling terrible. Does anyone have a timeline on the recovery? This has truly been a living hell. Can't function with the dizziness and feel like I'm going to die all the time.
Thank you!
|

replied January 7th, 2013
I use propane to heat. The first time I used the tank, I didn't tighten it down quite enoug; so I smelled some gas (I'm told that they put something in the gas so you WILL smell a leak). I then tightened it down more, until the smell went away. I've been extra careful to do this each and every time. Is it still likely to be a problem? I feel like I've had the flue for several days.
|

replied January 7th, 2014
Propane leak, symptoms
I understand they are supposed to have an "odorant" in the propane, but not everyone's sense of smell is equal. It would seem for sure you're entitled to damages/compensation of some sort.
I'm feeling anxious about this because my husband and I both smelled gas this afternoon; he turned off the line from the tank, and called the company, and we're waiting for someone to arrive. I took our young son over to my mom's. The extreme cold, we suspect, may have caused a pipe or some seal to crack.... Sad
I'm feeling a bit spacey, but maybe it's just due to anxiety.
|